Gene Roberts, JD
Attorney | Mediator | Director
- B.S. (cum laude) Lamar University
- M.A. University of Houston
- J.D. Southern Methodist University (Articles Editor, SMU Law Review; President of the Student Bar Association; Outstanding Male Graduate)
- Mediation Training:
- University of Texas School of Law, Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Center (Austin, Texas)
Gene Roberts is the Director of the Office of Student Legal & Mediation Services. He has over 20 years of experience as counsel representing clients in litigated cases. Gene’s philosophy—as a private attorney and as the full-time Director of SLMS—is to help individuals understand their rights and responsibilities, comprehend the complexities of the legal system, and develop a proactive and productive strategy for the situation they face.
Gene is married with one son.
Leadership and Awards
- Gene was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers—Rising Stars Edition in the area of business litigation
- Avvo.com rates his legal background as “superb"
- Fellow Member of the College of the State Bar of Texas, an honorary society of lawyers who are among the best-trained attorneys in Texas
- Authorized to practice law in all Texas state courts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Western, and Southern Districts of Texas
- The Association of Attorney Mediators identified Gene as a “New Master of Mediation”
- Past-Chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Section (2012) after serving as its Secretary for three years.
- Recipient, Dallas Bar Association's "Special Section Award" (2012)
- Past member of the Board of Directors, President-elect, and President of the Dallas Chapter of the Association for Conflict Resolution
- Past member of the Board of Directors, Conference Co-Chair, and Past President of the Texas Association of Mediators
- Past Chair of the State Bar of Texas Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, and course director for its Advanced ADR courses in 2016 and 2017
- Past Vice-President of the Walker County Bar Association
- Past Vice-President of the University Student Legal Services Association-Western Region, and course director for its continuing legal education courses in 2018 and 2019
- Gene served his church as an Elder, Sunday School teacher, and chair of the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Dispute Resolution Center of Montgomery County
- Chair of the Student Health Insurance Committee
- Chair of the Lowman Student Center Director Search Committee
- Member of the Orange Keys Selection Committee
- Member of the Division of Student Affairs Vision, Mission, Values, and Goals Committee
- "Bearkat Spirit Award" from the Vice President for Student Affairs at SHSU (2015)
- Sammy Award (2020) (the official university ceremony that recognizes SHSU's outstanding student leaders and organizations)
- He served on mission teams throughout Texas, Louisiana, and in the Agalta Valley of central Honduras
Ilexus Williams | Student Assistant
“Still, like air, I rise.” – Maya Angelou
Ilexus is from Waco, Texas. She is a Political Science major with a minor in English. On campus she is the Vice President of Operations for the LEAP Ambassadors. She is also the Vice President of Finance for the Pre-Law Society and served as an Austin Intern for Representative Armando Martinez. After graduation, she plans to go to law school.