Gene Roberts, JD, EdD
Attorney | Mediator | Director
- BS (cum laude) Lamar University
- MA University of Houston
- JD Southern Methodist University (Articles Editor, SMU Law Review; President of the Student Bar Association; Outstanding Male Graduate)
- EdD Sam Houston State University (Higher Education Leadership)
- Mediation Training:
- University of Texas School of Law, Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Center (Austin, Texas)
Gene Roberts is an Associate Dean and the Director of Student Legal & Mediation Services. He has over 20 years of experience as counsel representing clients in litigated cases. Gene’s philosophy—as a private attorney and as the full-time Director of SLMS—is to help individuals understand their rights and responsibilities, comprehend the complexities of the legal system, and develop a proactive and productive strategy for the situation they face.
Gene is married with one son.
Leadership and Awards
- Gene was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers—Rising Stars Edition in the area of business litigation
- Avvo.com rates his legal background as “superb"
- Fellow Member of the College of the State Bar of Texas, an honorary society of lawyers who are among the best-trained attorneys in Texas
- Authorized to practice law in all Texas state courts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Western, and Southern Districts of Texas
- The Association of Attorney Mediators identified Gene as a “New Master of Mediation”
- Past-Chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Section (2012) after serving as its Secretary for three years.
- Recipient, Dallas Bar Association's "Special Section Award" (2012)
- Past member of the Board of Directors, President-elect, and President of the Dallas Chapter of the Association for Conflict Resolution
- Past member of the Board of Directors, Conference Co-Chair, and Past President of the Texas Association of Mediators
- Past Chair of the State Bar of Texas Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, and course director for its Advanced ADR courses in 2016 and 2017
- Past Vice-President of the Walker County Bar Association
- Past Vice-President of the University Student Legal Services Association-Western Region, and course director for its continuing legal education courses in 2018 and 2019
- Susanne C. Adams Award (Texas Association of Mediators) (2023). Read more here and here.
- Gene served his church as an Elder, Sunday School teacher, and chair of the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Dispute Resolution Center of Montgomery County
- Chair of the Student Health Insurance Committee
- Chair of the Lowman Student Center Director Search Committee
- Member of the Orange Keys Selection Committee
- Member of the Division of Student Affairs Vision, Mission, Values, and Goals Committee
- "Bearkat Spirit Award" from the Vice President for Student Affairs at SHSU (2015)
- Sammy Award (2020) (the official university ceremony that recognizes SHSU's outstanding student leaders and organizations)
- He served on mission teams throughout Texas, Louisiana, and in the Agalta Valley of central Honduras
Taylor Keen | Administrative Associate
- B.S., Sam Houston State University
Taylor is a first-generation college student and a 2022 alumna of Sam Houston State University. As a first-generation student, Taylor learned that there are no failures, just different results to learn from, including leadership roles, education, professional career, or everyday life.
Leadership and Awards
- Past President, Sigma Alpha Beta Pi Chapter
- Sigma Alpha Beta Pi Chapter's Philanthropy Chair, where she coordinated events to serve the Huntsville community and the Sam Houston State University campus.
- Working with the Peyton Irwin Foundation for the annual Pineapple Run, a 5k event to bring awareness to stop distracted driving.
Dani | Student Assistant
Dani is from Carrollton, Texas, pursuing her bachelor's degree in forensic chemistry with minors in forensic science and biology. After graduating, she plans to obtain her M.S. in forensic science and work in a federal crime lab.
"I'll hold onto the world tight someday. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning." -Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Daniela | Student Assistant
Daniela is from Rowlett, Texas, and is pursuing her bachelor's degree in criminal justice and Spanish with a minor in legal studies. After graduating, she hopes to obtain her MBA and attend law school. She hopes to become a criminal prosecutor.
"The decisions of our past are the architects of our present."- Dan Brown, Inferno
Bianca | Student Assistant
Bianca is from Austin, Texas, and is pursuing her bachelor's degree in criminal justice with a minor in psychology. After graduating, she hopes to obtain her master's degree and eventually join the Texas Department of Public Safety workforce. She hopes to one day be a Texas Ranger.
"Blessed are the peacemakers" - Matthew 5:9
Garrett | Student Assistant
Garrett is from Kingwood, Texas, and is pursuing his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice with a minor in homeland security studies. After graduating, he hopes to become a Texas Game Warden and protect the many species of wildlife in Texas.