Apply | Thematic Tracks | Courses | Curriculum | Written Portfolio Process | Thesis | FAQ | Forms | Graduate Studies | Webinar Videos
The following will be required for admission:
- An Application completed at Apply Texas and submitted to Graduate Studies.
- The requisite application fee.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with at least the equivalent of a minor (18 semester credit hours) in history or in closely related disciplines.
- Official transcripts from all universities previously attended.
- Submission of a writing sample. This document should demonstrate your ability to advance an argument in professional prose. There is no required length, but most samples range between 8 and 10 pages. If you do not have an actual paper prepared for an undergraduate course, you are free to submit an original piece of writing or one prepared specifically for the application.
- Two letters of recommendation. We prefer letters from instructional faculty, though other professional references are acceptable.
- A cover letter explaining why you wish to pursue an MA in history, relevant educational background, and career ambitions
The application deadlines for this program are: March 1 for Summer; March 1 for Fall; October 1 for Spring.
To make a formal application to the program, you may apply online via the SHSU Graduate Studies Application for Admissions page or you may secure an application by contacting:
Dean of Graduate Studies
P.O. Box 2478
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, Texas 77341-2478
Online Learning Fee
Please see the SHSU Distance Learning Fees page for additional information. These fees are subject to change by the Board of Regents of the Texas State University System.