Matthew C. Wagner
Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology
Dr. Matthew Wagner has been teaching at SHSU since 1994 when he began teaching as an Adjunct in the Department of Kinesiology. He became a Clinical Assistant Professor, then was hired as an assistant professor in 2005. He was promoted to an Associate Professor in 2015
Dr Wagner’s current interests are in the areas of health and wellness for law enforcement and correctional officers. He is a frequent speaker at both law enforcement and correctional organizations promoting the benefits of health and wellness to these populations. Dr Wagner recently co -authored an article in Police Chief magazine regarding the importance of health and wellness during crisis times.
- Ph.D. Kinesiology, Texas A&M University
- M.A. Kinesiology, Sam Houston State University
- B.S. Criminal Justice, Sam Houston State University
Honors and Awards
- EURECA Grant recipient – Enhancing Undergraduate Research Experiences and Creative Activities. With Dr. Mary Williams, Kendall Mehlorn and Devin Anderson. 2016. $8,000.00
- Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas at Sam Houston State University for the investigation of the impact of behavioral change in diet and exercise on key biomarkers in a multicultural senior law enforcement population. #BBL-R-701-001. 2010. $10,000.
- Innovative Fitness grant for the investigation of the effects of plyometric training on agility, Legacy: 321-20-C190, December 2009. $2,000.00.
- Wagner, M.C., LeNorman, D., Dooley, A., and Rollins, L. (2015) Recurrent rhabdomyolysis and extreme exercise- A case study. Journal of Sports Medicine and Allied Health Sciences: Official Journal of the Ohio Athletic Trainers Association: 1: (2), Article 3.
Glave, A. P., Didier, J. J., Oden, G. L., Wagner, M. C., & Rivera, S. M. (2015). The relationship between body fat percentage and difference in caloric expenditure as measured by indirect calorimetry and estimated by an elliptical trainer. Journal of Molecular Pathophysiology, 4(2), 65-68. doi: 10.5455/jmp.20150525021208.
Wagner, M.C. & Serio, J.D. (2015). Getting healthy: 50 lessons on physical fitness for law enforcement. Austin, Texas: GTN Publishers.