The following will be required for admission:
- An Application completed at Apply Texas and submitted to Graduate Studies.
- The requisite application fee.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with at least the equivalent of a minor (18 semester credit hours) in history or in closely related disciplines. On rare occasions, history related experiences in the military or in civilian life may substitute for a deficiency in this area.
- Most successful applicants have an undergraduate GPA above 3.25 and a GRE score that is equivalent to 1000. A slight deficiency in one of the above areas may be offset by superior scores on the other academic components.
- Submission of a writing sample.
- Two letters of recommendation.
The Office of Graduate Studies has general application deadlines of August 1 for Fall, December 1 for Spring, May 15 for Summer I, and June 15 for Summer II.
To make a formal application to the program, you may apply online via the SHSU Graduate Studies Application for Admissions page or you may secure an application by contacting:
Dean of Graduate Studies
P.O. Box 2478
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, Texas 77341-2478
Online Learning Fee
Please see the SHSU Distance Learning Fees page for additional information. These fees are subject to change by the Board of Regents of the Texas State University System.