The EdAide Program allows paraprofessionals working in public schools the opportunity to complete their bachelor's degree as well as receive their teaching certification without having to quit their full-time jobs.
This unique program is designed specifically for paraprofessionals and follows a cohort model. A new cohort begins each semester and classes are taught online, at night or on the weekend. By logging 520 teaching hours, student teaching will be waived.
- Early Childhood - 6th Grade Core
- Early Childhood - 6th Grade Bilingual
- Early Childhood - 12th Grade Special Education
- Currently be employed as an instructional aide by a school district
- Be core complete
- Have an overall GPA of 2.75 or better
- Have a flexible and supportive administrator
- Have been an instructional classroom aide for at least one year in the last five years
Students admitted into the EdAide program must have completed the following:
- 6 hrs Communication
- 3 hrs Mathematics
- 6-8 hrs Life and Physical Science
- 3 hrs Language, Philosophy, and Culture
- 3 hrs Creative Arts
- 6 hrs U.S. History
- 6 hrs Political Science/Government
- 3-6 hrs Social & Behavioral Science
- 4-6 hrs Life and Physical Science or Language, Philosophy, and Culture
- Teach for Houston is a non-profit partner that will reimburse application fees
- SHSU Transfer Scholarship - amount varies based on transfer GPA
- Educational Aide Waiver
- Foundation Scholarship - up to $2000/year
- TEACH Grant - federal grant up to $4000/year
- Scholarships4Kats, accepted students are encouraged to apply every year
- Student Loans
- Loan Forgiveness - TEA program
- Financial Aid
For more information, please contact:Dr. Daphne D. Johnson
EdAide Program Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org | 936.294.3875
How do I get started?
- Complete the required 42 hours of core.
- Apply to SHSU through Teach for Houston.
- Once accepted, apply to the EdAide Program.
- Apply for scholarships
- Once accepted into EdAide, meet with your advisor for your course of study.
- Follow your course of study.
How do I pay for the program?
If you maintain a 3.25 GPA, you will qualify for all of the following grants.
- Foundation Grant
- TEACH Grant
- Educational Aide Waiver/Grant
- Transfer Scholarship
- Scholarships for Kats
How long does it take to complete the program?
If you are admitted core complete, and maintain status, you can complete the program in 4-5 semesters.