Announcing The 29th Annual Sammy Award Winners
April 14, 2023
SHSU Media Contact: Mikah Boyd
Hosted by Sam Houston State University and the Department of Student Activities, The Sammy Awards is the official university ceremony that recognizes SHSU's outstanding student leaders and organizations.
Sam Houston Cane Award
- Sam Houston Cane Award: The College of Education Eleanor and Charles Garrett Center on Transition and Disability Studies
- Outstanding First-Year Student Leader: Crystal Ebo
- Outstanding Sophomore Student Leader: Nicole Ivory
- Outstanding Junior Student Leader: Megan Herzog
- Outstanding Non-Traditional Student Leader: Chris Bingle
- Outstanding Graduate/Doctoral Student Leader: Darian Dozier
- The Creager Memorial Award: Nicholas Free
- The McDermett Memorial Award: Cheyenne Wisecup
- The Sammy Award (Faculty/Staff): Stephanie Knific
- The Sammy Award (Faculty/Staff): Jaylon Berry
- The Sammy Award (Student): Hailey Richardson
- The Sammy Award (Student): Haley Cook
- Outstanding Academic Organization: EURECA
- Outstanding Advocacy Organization: Ubuntu
- John A. Patrick Outstanding Diversity Organization: The Episcopal Student Center
- Outstanding Recreational Organization: Ubuntu
- Outstanding Religious and Spirituality Organizations: Wesley Campus Ministry
- Outstanding Social Sorority: Alpha Delta Pi
- Outstanding Social Fraternity: Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.
- Outstanding Special Interest Organization: Chess Club
- Outstanding Student Organization Advisor: Christina Gushanas
- “The Measure of a Life is its Service” Award: Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc.
- Excellence in Service: College of Business Administration: Jarrett Thompson
- Excellence in Service: College of Criminal Justice: Alejandra Rodriguez
- Excellence in Service: College of Education: Teagan Mies
- Excellence in Service: College of Arts & Media: Claudia Fuenmayor
- Excellence in Service: College of Health Sciences: Jessica Armstrong
- Excellence in Service: College of Humanities & Social Sciences: Nicholas Free
- Excellence in Service: College of Science and Engineering Technology: Hailey Richardson
- Excellence in Service: College of Osteopathic Medicine: Luis Banuelos
Awards are given to individuals, colleges and organizations, each honoree was nominated for their outstanding service to the university community. The breakdown of awards and the criteria for recipients is as follows.
There are seven individual college awards, which recognize an outstanding student from each college that is nominated by faculty and chosen by the dean of that college. Students must be of junior, senior or graduate level standing and have a minimum 3.00 GPA to be nominated.
Bearkat students, faculty and staff also have seventeen individual and organizational awards they can receive, which require nominations from members of the university community. For the awards that honor individuals, students must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
Entities that operate outside of the parameters of the current student leaders and organizations categories can receive the Sam Houston Cane Award. These groups may be university funded entities, university departments, or other on campus initiatives that contribute back to the university in the areas of spirit, tradition and service.
Lastly, there are four Sammy Awards available, which also require nominations from the University community at large. These prestigious awards are presented to approximately four graduating students and faculty and/or staff members for outstanding contributions and service to the university. Student nominees must be of senior or graduate level and have a minimum 2.5 GPA.
For more photos of the winners and ceremony, follow this link.
- END -
This page maintained by SHSU's Communications Office:
Director of Content Communications: Emily Binetti
Communications Manager: Mikah Boyd
Communications Specialist: Campbell Atkins
Please send comments, corrections, news tips to Today@Sam.edu