Newton Gresham Library Renovation Design Among Items Approved
Feb. 14, 2020
SHSU Media Contact: Emily Binetti
During the Texas State University System Board of Regents quarterly meeting in San Marcos, TX on Feb. 13-14, the following items were approved for Sam Houston State University:
In planning and construction, design development documents for Newton Gresham Library were accepted. Since opening in 1968, the Library has undergone only minor renovations and must evolve to meet the needs of today’s students. The focus of the work is the first and second levels and enhancement of the Library’s entries. The key goal for the project is the integration of the University’s Academic Success Center into the Library.
In academics, a new degree program was approved for a Master of Public Health with concentrations in Global Health and Social Justice and Health Education and Promotion. The new program requires final approval by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Also authorized, the creation of five departments within the College of Osteopathic Medicine: Clinical Anatomy; Physiology and Pharmacology; Molecular and Cellular Biology; Osteopathic Principles and Practice; and Primary Care and Clinical Medicine.
The following department name changes were approved:
- Department of Agricultural Sciences to the School of Agricultural Sciences
- Department of Physics to the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of Geography and Geology to the Department of Environmental and Geosciences
The following degree program title changes were approved:
- Master of Science in Information Assurance and Security to the Master of Science in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies degree to Bachelor of Science in Integrated Studies
- Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Digital and Cyber Forensics Engineering Technology to the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Computer Software Engineering Technology to the Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees with majors in Interdisciplinary Studies to Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees with majors in Education
- Bachelor of Science with a major in Design and Development degree program to the Bachelor of Science with a major in Engineering Design Technology degree program
The following semester credit hour changes were approved:
- A decrease in semester credit hours for the Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education
- An increase in semester credit hours for the Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology
In curriculum changes, 18 course additions, 13 course deletions and 27 course changes were approved.
(All department name, degree program title, and semester credit hour changes require final approval by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.)
Under finance and audit, proposed meal plan rates and residence hall rates (effective Fall 2020) were approved to meet the growing demands of the campus community. Additionally, an amendment to the food service contract with Aramark was authorized.
- END -
This page maintained by SHSU's Communications Office:
Associate Director, Communications: Emily Binetti
Telephone: 936.294.1836; Fax: 936.294.1834
Communications Manager: Wes Hamilton
Telephone: 936.294.1837; FAX: 936.294.1834
Communications Writer: Hannah Haney
Telephone: 936.294.2638; FAX: 936.294.1834
Thomason Building: Suite 102
Please send comments, corrections, news tips to Today@Sam.edu