Regents Approve Land Purchases, Recognize Professor
Aug. 14, 2015
SHSU Media Contact: Jennifer Gauntt
The Texas State University System Board of Regents approved the following items for Sam Houston State University during the board’s quarterly meeting in Alpine on Aug. 14.
- The board authorized the purchase of a property located at 815 15th St. for $705,000. The existing structure located on the property will be razed and the land will be utilized for additional campus parking.
- Regents also authorized the purchase of a property located at 2432 Sam Houston Ave. for $950,000. SHSU has no immediate plans for the property and will hold it in its current condition until an appropriate, long-term use is identified and funding is available.
- The board approved the extension of the lease for Raven Nest Golf Club for an additional five years, from Aug. 1, 2015, to Aug. 31, 2020. The course supports the Professional Golf Management Program, which is the only one in Texas and is required, in order to maintain PGA accreditation, to have access to a golf course for teaching and training purposes.
- Regents adopted a resolution in recognition and appreciation of Joyce McCauley as SHSU’s 13th Piper Professor (2015), an award granted by the Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation that recognizes distinguished achievement in teaching in Texas colleges and universities. Among her noted achievements were McCauley’s designation as one of six SHSU faculty members to win two of SHSU’s highest honors: the Excellence in Service and Excellence in Teaching awards; having been recognized by the SHSU College of Education for outstanding grantsmanship, community engagement and teaching; her consistent and dedicated record of scholarly activity; her development of the SHSU Center of Community Engagement; and her 45 years of dedication to reading and literacy as an educator.
- The board approved the following faculty members as chairs of their respective departments: Furjen Deng, sociology; Lief French, foreign languages; Susan Reichelt, family and consumer sciences.
- Foreign languages professor Lief French was granted tenure.
The following holiday schedule was approved for the 2016 fiscal year:
- Labor Day: Sept. 7
- Thanksgiving: Nov. 26-27
- Christmas: Dec. 23-31
- New Year’s Day: Jan. 1, 2016
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Jan. 18, 2016
- Energy Conservation Day: March 11, 2016
- Memorial Day: May 30, 2016
- Independence Day: July 4, 2016
- Religious holidays: Rosh Hashanah, Sept. 14; Yom Kippur, Sept. 23; Good Friday, March 25, 2016; Cesar Chavez Day, March 31, 2016
- END -
This page maintained by SHSU's Communications Office:
Director of Content Communications: Emily Binetti
Communications Manager: Mikah Boyd
Communications Specialist: Campbell Atkins
Please send comments, corrections, news tips to Today@Sam.edu