Degree Program Overview
The Master of Education in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is designed for teachers of English as a Second/Foreign Language. The program addresses the theories of language instruction and incorporates research-based best practices for teaching English language learners. In addition to receiving the M.Ed., our graduates earn a certificate in Second Language Instruction from Sam Houston State University.
This 30 hour online degree program is nationally accredited and addresses standards of the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). This program is designed for ESL/EFL professionals who teach at a variety of levels—from the young child through the adult learner.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Articulate theories, processes, and principles of second language acquisition and second language literacy acquisition
- Examine the linguistic, sociocultural, cognitive, and psychological foundations of language and literacy
- Identify instructional strategies and materials that promote the acquisition of language and literacy for English language learners
- Evaluate informal and formal assessments for English language learners
- Engage in reflective analysis of personal beliefs and systematic inquiry into diverse cultures in order to construct a pedagogy in which diversity is an explicit part of the curriculum Integrate technology to enhance the learning opportunities of English language learners
- Conduct research in second language learning and teaching
|Catalog Entry||Master of Education (MEd)|
|Length||30 Credit Hours|
|Enrollment||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|Costs||Rates Per Semester|
|Admission Requirements||Application Materials|
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: May 15
Please note that application deadlines will occasionally change. Please contact your academic advisor (listed in the contact section) for confirmation on application deadlines.