Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is a student organization that serves as a liaison between the student body and the Student Health Center and Office of Health Promotion. The goal of SHAC is to ensure effective delivery of healthcare services to students attending SHSU. Some of the operational expectations of this organization are to:
- Foster feedback from students regarding SHC services and resources
- Communicate any ideas regarding operations, services, marketing and outreach events
- Communicate any student body concerns regarding services
- Promote good health and the SHC/OHP mission throughout the University community
- Collaborate with SHC/OHP to design and implement programing and outreach initiatives/events
As a member of the Student Health Advisory Committee, you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop insight about healthcare in a college setting and relay student input to the Student Health Center
- Work directly with the Student Health Center (SHC) and Office of Health Promotion (OHP) administration
- Volunteer at SHC and OHP events around campus
- Help plan campus-wide events that promote student awareness for campus health and wellness resources
- Develop leadership and professional skills
- Network with fellow students and SHC and OHP staff
Years at SHSU: 3
McKenzie is a Junior Biomedical Science major. She is currently the President of Alpha Lambda Delta, a Site Leader for Bearkat Service Break, and a Student Employee in the Department of Leadership Initiatives. She is also a part of the Elliot T. Bowers Honors College and serves as a Past Peer Mentor for the Freshman Leadership Program. In her spare time, she enjoys trying new coffee shops and hanging out with friends.
Years at SHSU: 1 Semester
Howdy SHSU students and staff, my name is KatieLynn Korenek and I am currently a sophomore here at SHSU. I grew up in ole Katy, Tx, and am a Biomedical Sciences Major with a Pre-Medical concentration. Ever since I was a little girl, I had always wanted to help people and take care of them, at all costs. As I grew older, I learned the medical field is where my heart belongs. In high school I assisted in Sports Medicine as a student trainer and a chairman for a club called H.O.S.A. (Health Occupations for Students of America). As an individual who knows the struggles around a chronic illness (diabetes- type 2), I understand the importance of GOOD healthcare, and I would love to help the change to improve care on campus for SHSU students.I'm beyond excited for this semester, and S'CO Kats!.
Will Kinch III
Years at SHSU: 3
Willie Kinch is a 21 year old Junior Pre-Nursing Major . He is the former President of the Theta Mu Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., the former Vice President of the NAACP Unit 6816, current President of The Iota Psi Chapter of Order of Omega and member of the honors college, and the Communications Officer for SHAC.
Years at SHSU: 3
Jesse is a pre-medical student currently pursuing a degree in Biomedical Sciences. He is the President of Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society, dedicated to improving the understanding and appreciation of biological studies, as well as extending boundaries of human knowledge through scientific research. He also is the treasurer of S.H.A.M.O.S., which assists in preparing pre-medical students for their future in the medical field. Jesse plans to practice medicine and specialize in Oncology.