Minimum Degree Requirements for the Masters and Doctoral Degrees

(Note: THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LIST of requirements. Masters and Doctoral students must check with their department chairs/coordinators for complete departmental degree requirements)

  • A student should apply for admission to candidacy to their program at the completion of 15 term hours.
  • A student should submit thesis proposal 14 weeks prior to graduation, if thesis is required for their academic program.
  • A student should complete written and/or oral comprehensive examinations, if applicable. (Graduate Students required to take Comprehensive Examinations must be be enrolled at Sam Houston State University the term in which they plan to take their examination.)
  • Graduate and Doctoral students should recognize that admission to graduate work does not imply admission to candidacy. The procedure for admission to candidacy involves meeting all requirements for Regular Admission to Graduate Study.
  • All official transcripts must be submitted and required admissions test scores should be on file, in the appropriate department chair's/coordinator's offices.
  • All stem work must be completed.
  • A minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 is required.
  • Petition admission to candidacy, when required by departments.

A graduate student writing a thesis or dissertation must enroll in the appropriate thesis or dissertation course work. Student enrollment in thesis or dissertation must be for the term or summer session in which the student expects to complete the degree. If the degree is not awarded at the end of that term or summer session, re-enrollment in the appropriate thesis or dissertation course will be required during a subsequent term or summer session in which the degree is again expected to be awarded.

A student who enrolls for thesis or dissertation course work and does not complete the thesis or dissertation during the term or summer session of enrollment will be awarded the mark of IP on their transcript (indicating in completion.) A student receiving the IP mark must continue to enroll in the appropriate thesis or dissertation course during regular terms and one summer session until completion of the thesis or dissertation, and must be enrolled in the appropriate thesis or dissertation course during the term the degree is awarded. (If a student is to graduate in the second summer session, enrollment is required in one of the summer sessions but not both summer sessions.)