Bearkat Camp FAQs

Don't Just Go To School... Be a Bearkat!

  • When is Bearkat Camp?

    Bearkat Camp takes place at the end of July and into the first weeks of August prior to the start of school.

  • Are there other programs that conflict with Bearkat Camp?

    Please check directly with your organizations.

  • Where is Bearkat Camp and how do I get there?

    Bearkat Camp is held at the SHSU University Camp. Check-in directions and instructions will be sent prior to camp.

  • Who goes to Bearkat Camp?

    Bearkat Camp is open to all incoming students who are enrolled in the Fall semester at SHSU and graduated high school in 2021. There will also be current SHSU students serving as counselors.

  • How much does it cost?

    The cost of camp is $125, Transfer Camp is $50. Payment is collected as part of the online registration process. This price includes your lodging, programming, meals, and a camp T-shirt.

  • How do I register?

    You can register online or over the phone by calling 936-294-CAMP.

  • Does registration fill up?

    Yes! We have limited space at Bearkat Camp, and traditionally camp space fills up completely.

  • When is the last day I can get a refund for camp?

    The last day to receive a refund for camp if you decide to not attend is July 1. After this date, no refunds will be given.

  • How do I notify you about any special needs, dietary needs, food restrictions, etc.?

    Please contact the camp director to discuss any special needs or accommodations. (936) 294-CAMP (2267). The director will be in contact with you to gather the details. You can also email the camp director at

  • What if I am having trouble with online registration?

    If you are having problems with registering online, please contact us at (936) 294-CAMP.

  • Where do I park when I come to camp?

    Check-in directions and instructions will be sent prior to camp.

  • What if I'm not a camp or outdoors person?

    Camp is active; however, there are a variety of optional activities, some of which will be indoors. This is not a camping trip! You will be staying in air conditioned cabins with modern restrooms. The dining hall and meeting rooms are air conditioned as well. You can also beat the Texas heat in the camp swimming pool.

  • What do I need to bring to camp?

    What to bring to Bearkat Camp:

    • Linens for a twin/ twin XL bed (sleeping bag, sheets, pillow)
    • Towels for shower and pool
    • Shower shoes
    • Comfortable and modest clothes for recreation and activities such as shorts and T-shirts are appropriate for all activities and you may want more than one set per day.
    • Bring a sweatshirt for the cabins, it can get cold at night
    • Toiletries
    • Closed-toed shoes for recreation and optional activities
    • Protection from the sun, such as hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses.
    • Swimwear
    • Women: One or two-piece swimsuit as per camp policy. No thong bottoms allowed.
    • Men: No Speedos
    • Swim Cover Ups: No cotton cover ups/shirts allowed in the pool. Dri-Fit shirts are acceptable and available if you do not have one.
    • Outfits for social events. We will have both a pool party and western night.
  • Do people really dress up for the social events?

    We will have both a pool party and western night.  For the pool party, Hawaiian shirts are often worn and are fun but not required.  On western night, cowboy boots and hats are also popular.  Again, nothing is mandatory but some campers and counselors do really get into to so you can join them…or not!

  • What should I not bring to camp?

    Valuable items that could easily be misplaced such as jewelry, credit cards, or more than $20 cash. Any drugs, alcohol, weapons of any kind, including pocket knives, are not allowed at camp. This is a sanctioned SHSU event and any violations will be handled in cooperation with the university police and/or university disciplinary council (see Student Handbook.) Students who violate these policies will be asked to leave camp without a refund.

  • Will I have cell phone service at camp?

    Cell phone service is not very reliable at camp and we offer no secure personal storage. We strongly urge you to not bring/use your phone at camp, you will be too busy making new friends to need it anyways! In case of an emergency where someone needs to get a hold of you while you are at camp, they can call University Camp at (936) 294-CAMP.

  • Who do I contact for more information?

    For more information, you can call (936) 294-CAMP or email us at

Contact Campus Rec

936.294.1985 |

Download a map of the Campus Rec Center

Fitness Classes | Intramural Sports | Facility Availability Calendar | Reservation Form