- Who can become a member of the SHSU Alumni Association?
The SHSU Alumni Association welcomes alumni, friends, faculty, staff, students and parents into the membership ranks. You do not need to be a graduate of SHSU to be a member of this vibrant Bearkat community.
- What are the benefits of joining the SHSU Alumni Association?
By becoming a SHSUAA member, you will truly be where Bearkats belong because wherever you live, you will always feel more connected to your Bearkat roots. In addition, members enjoy the benefit of knowing that they are supporting valued programs and services designed to enhance the lives of all alumni, students, fans, and friends. The KATAPP exclusive discounts and the Traveling Bearkats program are a few of the SHSUAA programs offered to members. SHSUAA also provides an array of exclusive benefits through our affinity partners.
- What membership options are available?
The SHSU Alumni Association offers both annual and life membership options. Recent graduates— those who graduated from SHSU within the last two years — can enjoy all membership benefits at a special rate. We also offer a special life member rate to senior members who are 65 years old or older.
- Do the benefits differ by level of membership
Yes. The Century Club annual membership and the Life membership levels have additional benefits.
- Does it cost more for my spouse/partner to be a member?
- Can the parents of current SHSU students be a member?
Yes, membership in the SHSUAA is open to all friends of the university. In addition, the SHSU Office of Alumni Relations partners with the SHSU Parent Relations Office to offer a membership specifically for parents that includes special events and scholarship opportunities for current students. Membership requires that you have, or support, a child enrolled at SHSU.
- Does SHSUAA membership automatically make me a member of my local/regional alumni chapter?
Yes. Local alumni chapters do not charge dues, so you may participate in your chapter/network regardless of your SHSUAA member status. We highly encourage regional club members to join the SHSUAA to help support the club efforts. Please visit our alumni chapter page for information on events in your local area.
- When will my SHSUAA membership card arrive?
Your SHSUAA member card and membership kit should arrive in the mail within 5-10 days. In the meantime, download the KATAPP to receive your digital membership card, manage your membership and discover how you can make the most of your membership.
- How can I update my credit card information?
Members who are making monthly installment payments toward life memberships can update their credit card information by calling 936.294.1841 or toll-free 1.800.283.7478.
- Whom should I contact to update my address, request a replacement card, or ask other membership-related questions?
You can update your address via our update form. For other membership assistance, call 936.294.1841 or toll free 800.283.SHSU (298.7478), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are my membership dues and sustaining contributions tax deductible?
SHSUAA considers your dues and any sustaining contributions you make to be charitable donations. In some cases, they are tax deductible. Please consult your tax adviser for further information about your specific circumstances.
- Do I need to be a SHSUAA member to receive the HERITAGE magazine?
If you are a SHSU graduate and live in the United States, you will automatically receive the Heritage. If you live outside the United States or are not a SHSU graduate (no matter where you live), you must be a SHSUAA member or University donor to receive the magazine.
- What is the Kat Konnection newsletter?
Although all domestic alumni receive The Heritage magazine, only SHSUAA members receive a subscription to the Kat Konnection. Filled with fun regional club activities and new member listing, the Kat Konnection exhibits Bearkat Pride.
- Why is SHSUAA Travel a member benefit?
The SHSU Alumni Association is a membership organization designed to provide a special sense of community. To help create and achieve that feeling of community, SHSUAA offers members a variety of benefits, member pricing on events, and other exclusive benefits. With the lasting connections that travelers make on our tours, the Traveling Bearkats program truly embodies a sense of community, so including it as a SHSUAA benefit makes perfect sense.
- How can I get a SHSUAA alumni email address?
SHSU alumni, students, and SHSUAA members can sign up for a free shsu.edu email account by contacting the IT Service Desk at 936.294.1950.
- How can I share a life accomplishment or class note with my fellow Bearkats?