When you run a mail merge, Word pulls names, addresses, and other information directly from your Excel spreadsheet into the email messages, labels, envelopes, or documents you’re creating. The merge runs more smoothly if all the information you want to include is ready.
- The columns in your spreadsheet match the fields you want to use in your merge.
- For example, to address readers by their first name, make sure you have separate columns for first and last names. If you want to sort by city, be sure you have a separate City column.
- All the data you want to merge is in the spreadsheet.
- If you want to add more names or other information, it’s best to make those changes now—before you start the merge.
- Number formatting won’t change.
Here is an example of a list in Excel.
Save your data and get ready to import the information to your document.