Thanks for considering SHSU as your exchange destination! Your acceptance to SHSU hinges on your academic course requests. The #1 reason why an applicant may not be accepted at SHSU is because they need courses we cannot access. Please read all the requirements and restrictions below. The more flexible you can be in the courses you select, the more smoothly your registration process will be.
Choosing Sam Houston State as your exchange institution
Named for Sam Houston, Texas’ greatest hero, Sam Houston State University continually strives to honor its historical roots through academic excellence that includes exceptional teaching from faculty. For more than 139 years, SHSU has been preparing students for meaningful lives of achievement. Its motto, “The measure of a Life is its Service,” resonates among its 21,500+ students and echoes across eight colleges and beyond its Huntsville roots.
While embracing its legacy, SHSU also strives to meet the needs of contemporary students, both traditional and online. With over 90 bachelor's degree programs, more than 60 master’s degree programs and 10 doctoral programs, including the nation’s first PhD in Forensic Science, SHSU offers an exceptional college experience.
The main Sam Houston campus is located in Huntsville, Texas. Huntsville is located 70 miles north of downtown Houston. Ideal location for a student who wants to be close to the big city but not live in it. With around 40,000 inhabitants Huntsville has that small-town charm with access to anything you could need. The city’s historic downtown provides boutique stores, a variety of food and big annual events.
Located in the green Piney Woods of east Texas Huntsville has a lot of outdoor activities to offer with easy access to surrounding Sam Houston National Forest, Huntsville State Park, Lake Conroe and Lake Livingstone. From hiking to fishing to camping among the towering pine trees. There is even scuba diving opportunities at the Blue Lagoon just north of Huntsville. The SHSU campus is a good representation of the surrounding nature with a very green and tree-filled campus recognized as a Tree Campus USA recipient.
Students interested in golf have access to SHSU’s own 18-hole championship layout golf course, Raven Nest. The golf course is the home of the Sam Houston State PGA Golf Management program and can challenge golfers of all ability levels.
The SHSU College of Arts and Media provides Huntsville with a wide variety of cultural events year-round. Dance performances, theatre and musical theater shows, music concerts and art exhibits, all free to students.
Sam Houston State University is a public institution in east Texas established in 1879 accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. SHSU was started as the first teacher-training school in the southwestern United States. Teacher education has always been a big part of SHSU’s focus and today we are one of the top institutions in Texas educating teachers. SHSU has been a member of the Texas State University System since its creation in 1911. As one of the oldest institutions in Texas, we are rich in history and tradition.
SHSU Exchange Requirements & Restrictions
- SHSU participates in NSE HOME TUITION PLAN (formerly Plan B) only.
- You must have an overall GPA of 2.5 at your home institution at the time of application and exchange, no exceptions.
- All international students must purchase the SHSU International Student Health Insurance Plan.
- CLOSED programs: Nursing
- LIMITED programs: Biology, Dance, Music, Music Therapy, Theatre, Musial Theatre, Art, Studio Art, Animation, Film and TV Production, Photography, Early Childhood Education, Education, Elementary Education, Junior High/Middle School Education, Secondary Education, and Special Education.
- SHSU can accept as many incoming students as we have outgoing for a particular academic year. We rarely reject an NSE applicant unless they are requesting courses that are limited or closed.
Other Useful SHSU & Local Links
- shsu.edu Our main homepage, a good place to start. Surf and search around from there.
- Student Health Center: Visit this page to fill out required immunization forms prior to enrollment!
- Once you are enrolled, go to MySam to monitor your schedule and any housing or other fees on your account once you've been notified that your account is active.
- SHSU Undergraduate Catalog: Listing of all possible courses along with their descriptions and prerequisites...not all are offered every semester!
- You can also take a look at all Majors and Minors offered at SHSU.
- SHSU Class Schedule: Lists past, current and future (if released) course schedules.
- Residence Life: Information on on-campus housing options, room assignments in our halls and on-campus apartments, and the folks who manage the halls, and events. The SHSU NSE Coordinator STRONGLY suggests you live in our on-campus housing. Our halls have a lot of benefits and activities, excellent staffing & security. You can find an off-campus apartment list here.
- Parking & Transportation: If you are considering bringing a vehicle to SHSU, you will need to get a parking permit.
- Directions for getting here!