There are five main resources to help former fosters, orphans, or wards of the state pay for college:

  1. Federal Aid (grants/loans/work-study) obtained via the FAFSA (Free Application of Federal Student Aid)
  2. State Tuition Waivers
  3. Education and Training Vouchers (ETVs)
  4. SHSU Scholarships
  5. Outside Scholarships

FORWARD with Federal Aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal and state grants, loans, and work-study.
Apply online at

For more information, visit the SHSU Financial Aid and Scholarship webpage

FORWARD with State Tuition and Fee Waivers

If you were in foster care before you graduated high school or were adopted out of foster care, you may be eligible to have all of your tuition and fees waived.

To be eligible you must attend a state college or university within three years of graduating high school and before your 21st birthday.

In addition to properly completing the FAFSA, you must submit a letter of conservatorship to our Financial Aid office and your tuition and fee waiver to:

Sam Houston State University
Bursar Office
Estill Building
Box 2273
Huntsville, TX 77341

Phone: 936.294.1083
Fax: 936.294.1229

(Tuition Waivers do not cover housing, parking permits, or other living expenses.) 

FORWARD with the Texas Education and Training Voucher

The Texas Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program allows the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) to expand and supplement the current assistance provided to former and eligible foster care youth and specifically, helps to begin, continue and/or complete educational goals. This voucher may assist with housing and living expenses and may help you avoid taking out student loans.
To learn more, visit their website at

FORWARD with Scholarships

The following is a partial list of scholarships that may be available to you.  We encourage you to consider these as well as other scholarship opportunities that may exist in your local community, the state of Texas, nationally, and through Sam Houston State ScholarX Scholarship Application on the Sam Houston State University scholarship web page.

Links to other financial aid resources