Contact: THECB Foster Liaison Brenda Fernandez
There are five main resources to help former fosters, orphans, or wards of the state pay for college:
- Federal Aid (grants/loans/work-study) obtained via the FAFSA (Free Application of Federal Student Aid)
- State Tuition Waivers
- Education and Training Vouchers (ETVs)
- SHSU Scholarships
- Outside Scholarships
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal and state grants, loans, and work-study. Apply online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
- Must be renewed annually.
- Funding priority deadline is November 1 (filing earlier is encouraged) to ensure the maximum opportunity to receive grants (“free money”.)
- Foster youth:
If you were in foster care in the state of Texas before you graduated high school or were adopted out of foster care in Texas, you may be eligible for a tuition and fee waiver through the Department of Family & Protective Services.
In addition to properly completing the FAFSA, you must submit a letter of conservatorship, and your Texas tuition and fee waiver to our Financial Aid office and to the Bursars 0ffice.
Huntsville, TX 77341
Office hours: 8am-5PM, Monday-Friday
Location: Estill Classroom Bldg, Room 104
SHSU Financial Aid & Scholarships
1903 University, Estill 201
Huntsville, TX 77341-2328
TEL: (936) 294-1774
FAX: (936) 294-3668
Toll Free: (866) BEARKAT
Location: Estill Classroom Bldg, Third Floor
The Texas Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program allows the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) to expand and supplement the current assistance provided to former and eligible foster care youth and specifically, helps to begin, continue and/or complete educational goals. This voucher may assist with housing and living expenses and may help you avoid taking out student loans.
To learn more, visit their website at http://discoverbcfs.net/texasetv.
FORWARD with Scholarships
The following is a partial list of scholarships that may be available to you. We encourage you to consider these as well as other scholarship opportunities that may exist in your local community, the state of Texas, nationally, and through Sam Houston State ScholarX Scholarship Application on the Sam Houston State University scholarship web page.
- Orphan Foundation of America: http://orphan.org/index.php?id=30
- National Foster Parent Association: https://nfpaonline.org/Scholarship
- Texas Foster Family Association Scholarship: http://tffa.org/about/tffa-scholarship-application/
- Sam Houston State’s Former Foster Youth Scholarship as well as other institutional scholarships at https://shsu.academicworks.com/
Links to other financial aid resources: