Employee Offboarding

Before separating from the University, all employees should visit the Employee Services Center. We are providing a one-stop experience for returning assets and reviewing your account balance. If you need accommodations due to a mobility impairment, please call our office at 936-294-4040.

What to Return

You should watch your University email account for an offboarding checklist from the Employee Services Center that will include a list of assets assigned to you and instructions for returning them.

Computer Equipment

Effective February 8, 2022, you will return all computer equipment assigned by IT@Sam to the Employee Services Center prior to exiting. You will return departmentally supplied equipment to your departmental equipment manager.

Before turning in computer equipment,

  • Back Up Data. IT@Sam will erase all data stored on local drives in preparation for the next user and/or disposal. You must move any data that you or your department wishes to keep to another storage method such as Microsoft OneDrive, a USB flash drive or external hard drive, etc.
  • Sign Out of iCloud. If you are turning in an Apple Device, sign out of iCloud services and remove any passwords or passcodes from the device. For help, contact the IT@Sam Service Desk at 4-1950.
  • Collect Accessories. You must turn in all accessories including but not limited to:
    • Charging Cables & Power Supplies
    • Stylus, Pens, Apple Pencils, & other Writing Devices
    • Mice & Keyboards
    • Webcams
    • Cases


You will turn in assigned keys to the Employee Services Center prior to exiting – see your separation checklist for keys we expect to receive. You will return lockbox keys to the box for audit. Facilities Customer Service will conduct the audit and transfer process when a lockbox manager separates.

Travel Card

If you have an individually assigned Travel Card, you will turn it in to the Employee Services Center. If your card has a remaining balance, Procurement & Business Services will coordinate the closeout of the card. You will return departmentally assigned cards to the departmental administrative assistant or card manager.

Your Account Balance

We will help you view your campus account balance. If you have an unpaid balance, we will offer a Wage Deduction Authorization Agreement to pay your owed balance with your final paycheck. Otherwise, the University can send your unpaid balances to collections. At this point, the amount owed will increase to cover collection fees and negatively affect your credit score.

Check Your BalanceWage Deduction Agreement

What is Offboarding?

Offboarding is the process conducted to formally separate a faculty or staff employee from the University due to resignation, termination, or retirement. This process includes:

  • Reclaiming Hardware
  • Revoking Access
  • Recovering Debt

This process reduces loss and opportunities for any data or security breach.

How the Process Starts

Under normal circumstances, the offboarding process begins when you submit the End Job form or the separation EPAF through Banner. Supervisors and administrative professionals should encourage the employee to watch their email for their separation checklist and direct them to the Employee Services Center.

  • In the case of retirement, separation EPAFs are usually entered in advance. Don't worry – the employee will not complete the offboarding process until their retirement date approaches.
  • In the case of an immediate exit or job abandonment, please follow instructions provided by Human Resources.

Need Help?

Give Website Feedback