As a student with a disability seeking accommodations at Sam Houston State University (SHSU), you have the following rights and responsibilities.
Rights of students with disabilities seeking accommodations at SHSU
- Full and equal access to the educational programs, services, activities, and facilities of the University
- Reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services, as supported by documentation and approved by the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Confidentiality of information regarding your disability, except as disclosures are required or permitted by law
- Information in an accessible format
- Right to file a grievance if you believe that you have experienced disability discrimination at SHSU (see the Grievance Resolution Procedures in Academic Policy Statement 811006, Disabled Student Policy)
Responsibilities of students with disabilities seeking accommodations at SHSU
- Meet the academic and technical standards for participation in the University’s educational programs
- Register with the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD), per the Procedure to Request Services
- Submit disability documentation to SSD that is consistent with the SSD General Documentation Guidelines
- If approved for SSD services, request Accommodation Letters from SSD for academic courses in a timely manner
- As necessary, communicate with instructors and SSD regarding the implementation of accommodations
- Apprise SSD in a timely manner of any concerns regarding the effectiveness or implementation of accommodations
- Notify SSD in a timely manner of any changes in your mental and/or physical condition warranting different or additional accommodations and submit documentation supporting such need
Please contact the SSD Office at 936-294-3512 or email@example.com with any questions you may have regarding the rights and responsibilities of students with disabilities.