How to Apply
Application Submission by: Friday, November 11, 2022 by 12:00 p.m. (noon) Central Time.
APPIC Program Code # 2427
Our intern selection is based upon goodness of fit, thus we welcome applications from students seeking counseling center training experience. We look for interns whose interests and goals are consistent with our training philosophy and the experiences we can provide. We do not require prior practicum experience specifically in a university counseling center but applicants should have experience working with adults in an outpatient setting.
Qualifications of Applicants
- Enrollment in an APA or CPA accredited doctoral program in Counseling or Clinical Psychology is preferred but not necessary.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 400 Intervention Hours (i.e., supervised direct client contact) at time of application in November. These may include Masters practicum hours.
- Applicants must pass all doctoral comprehensive examinations by the start of internship.
- Applicants must complete all appropriate coursework prior to beginning the internship.
- Favorable consideration will be given to applicants who will have completed or made substantial progress toward completion of their dissertation by the start of the internship year.
We utilize the uniform psychology application (AAPI Online) developed by The Association of Postdoctoral and Psychology Internship Centers (APPIC). As a member of APPIC, we also participate in the computer matching process for the selection of our Psychology Interns. Information on the APPIC National Matching Process and the details regarding registration procedures can be found at www.natmatch.com/psychint/.
To complete our application process, please access the AAPI Online at https://www.appic.org/ Click on the APPI Online icon. The entire application is to be completed online. General Instructions are available on the front page of the AAPI Online, as well as instructions for each separate section of the Application.
The AAPI Online also includes a cover letter, 4 essays, a vita, graduate transcripts, and three letters of recommendation.
We fully endorse the APPIC policy summarized in the following statement:
“This internship site agrees to abide by the APPIC Policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant.”
Deadline for Applications
Applications Submitted by: Friday, November 5, 2021 by 12:00 p.m. (noon) Central Time.
APPIC Program Code # 2427
Contacting the Internship Program
To communicate directly with Training Director, e-mail her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the following mailing address.
Diane Stoebner-May, Ph.D.
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, Texas 77341-2059
Internship applications are reviewed by the Training Director and the Counseling Center senior staff members. Applications are reviewed with attention to match between the applicant’s training goals, clinical experiences, and goals of the internship program. The Selection Committee reviews applicants between the second and last week of November. Phone or Skype interviews are scheduled for the first three weeks of December. Instructions for what to prepare for and expect in the interview are provided to invited candidates.