- Is Orientation Mandatory?
Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students who have graduated from high school within the 2021-2022 academic year. Students graduating from high school prior to May of 2021 are not required to attend orientation but strongly encouraged. Students and families will have the opportunity to interact with Orientation Leaders and various campus partners.
- How can I ensure I have a successful transition to Sam Houston State University?
Bearkat Orientation is dedicated to helping you have a smooth transition to life at SHSU. Here are some tips to complete your transition:
1. Check your SHSU email daily for important information to help you prepare for your first semester and for your upcoming orientation session
2. Complete your Pre-Orientation at least two weeks prior to your orientation date.
3. Meet virtually with an Accepted Student Mentor to ensure you are completing your Accepted Student Checklist.
4. Download the SHSU Guidebook App to help you interact with all things orientationOrientation will also give students the opportunity to interact with students and make connections. We will also be holding additional programming in the fall and spring semesters for students to build on the connections they started at orientation.
- I can’t pay for Orientation right now, what can I do?
If you cannot pay for Orientation, our office offers fee deferments to students who have completed the financial aid process and meet the requirements set. The deferred fee can only apply to the student fee and will appear on the following semester fee statement. To begin the process fill out this electronic form. Please allow up to 10 business days for the process to be completed.
- Is there a limit to the number of guests I can bring to Orientation?
Each in-person Orientation session will have a student capacity of 250. Students can bring as many guest as they would like, so long as they are registered. The orientation guest fee is $50 for the first guest and $30 for each additional guest.
- Will a virtual option be available?
A virtual orientation for incoming freshmen and transfer students is available, however, a parent/family track will not be available. Family members are encouraged to view our most recent Parent and Family Zoom series and email us with any questions you may have.
- What will my Orientation fee cover?
Your orientation fee will cover the following: resources and technology, online programming, staffing of staff members and student Orientation Leaders, office operating cost, fall and spring semester programs, an orientation t-shirt, promotional items. For those attending in person, meals, facilities, and event parking. Please keep in mind that the orientation fee is non-refundable.
- Do I need to complete Pre-Orientation and Post-Orientation?
Yes, Pre-Orientation and Post-Orientation for Bearkats is required and will need to be completed prior to and after your Orientation session as detailed in the registration. It can be accessed through your SHSU Blackboard account, under the My Organizations section. You will receive access after registering for your Bearkat Orientation session.
- Can I visit campus before my Orientation session?
Yes, you can schedule a tour through Visitors Services to come visit us!
- Should I get academically advised before my Orientation session?
Yes, we strongly encourage you to get academically advised before your Orientation session. You can schedule your advising appointment here.