- Accepted for the Fall 2023 semester, what should I do?
Orientation registration opens March 2023. All incoming students will receive a personalized orientation registration link through your SHSU Student Email and via text. Please email email@example.com with any questions or concern regarding your registration information.
- Is Orientation Mandatory?
Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students who have graduated from high school within the 2022-2023 academic year. Students graduating from high school prior to May of 2022 are not required to attend orientation but strongly encouraged. Students and families will have the opportunity to interact with Orientation Leaders and various campus partners.
- How can I ensure I have a successful transition to Sam Houston State University?
Bearkat Orientation is dedicated to helping you have a smooth transition to life at SHSU. Here are some tips to complete your transition:
1. Check your SHSU email daily for important information to help you prepare for your first semester and for your upcoming orientation session
3. Download the SHSU Guidebook App to help you interact with all things orientationOrientation will also give students the opportunity to interact with students and make connections. We will also be holding additional programming in the fall and spring semesters for students to build on the connections they started at orientation.
- I can’t pay for Orientation right now, what can I do?
If you cannot pay for Orientation, our office offers fee deferments to students who have completed the financial aid process and meet the requirements set. The deferred fee can only apply to the student fee (not guest fees) and will appear on the following semester fee statement. Begin the process by registering for Orientation. You will then be redirected into the Fee Deferment form to submit the request online.
- Is there a limit to the number of guests I can bring to Orientation?
Due to capacity limits as we near the end of summer, and to ensure that all incoming Freshman students have an opportunity to attend Orientation (as it is a requirement), students can bring one guest, so long as they are registered. The orientation guest fee is $30 per guest.
- Will a virtual option be available?
A virtual orientation for incoming freshmen and transfer students is available, however, a parent/family track will not be available.
- What will my Orientation fee cover?
Your orientation fee will cover the following: resources and technology, online programming, staffing of staff members and student Orientation Leaders, office operating cost, fall and spring semester programs, an orientation t-shirt, promotional items. For those attending in person, meals, facilities, and event parking. Please keep in mind that the orientation fee is non-refundable.
- Can I visit campus before my Orientation session?
Yes, you can schedule a tour through Visitors Services to come visit us!
- Should I get academically advised before my Orientation session?
We encourage you to get academically advised before your Orientation session, however if you are unable to do so, you will have the opportunity to complete advising during your session. You can schedule your advising appointment here.