Graduate Student Checklist

View the Printer Friendly PDF version

Once you have been accepted for admission:

[ ]

Contact your graduate program academic advisor for further instructions about joining your program. See a listing of advisors and contact information.

[ ]

Activate your computer account. This will give you access to:

  • Blackboard (to attend online classes, check your class assignments, grades, etc.)
  • My Sam (to register for classes, view class schedule, view account balance, check financial aid status, etc.)
  • Campus email
  • Computers on campus (PC or Mac)

You can activate your computer account through SamWeb. You may contact the IT@SAM Helpdesk at or call 936-294-1950 for assistance.

[  ]

Visit the Registrar's website for information on registration for your courses.

During registration you may:
  • Request a parking permit
  • Opt to pay tuition and fees on an installment plan
[  ]

If you will be parking a vehicle at SHSU, please make sure to register your vehicle with the Department of Public Safety Services and acquire an electronic permit to park.  An ePermit is required to park on all SHSU campuses at all times and range in fees and duration.  Options range from hourly and daily ePermits to full academic year ePermits.  For more parking information, including contact information, please go to

[  ]

Pay your tuition and fees by the deadline stated on your fee statement. To pay in person, visit the Estill Building – Suite 103.

To pay tuition online:
  1. Log into My Sam
  2. Click on the “My Account” tab
  3. Click on “Make Payment through the Student Account Center”
[  ]

Request your Bearkat OneCard, the official ID of SHSU, in person (Main campus - Estill Building, Suite 230 or The Woodlands Center- One Stop Shop) or online. You must present a valid government or state issued photo ID in order to request your Bearkat OneCard.

[  ]

If you graduated from your bachelor's degree program after you were accepted into a graduate program at SHSU, you must send an official FINAL college transcript showing your bachelor's degree conferral to Graduate Admissions.

[  ]

New students under the age of 22 are required to submit proof of having received the Meningitis A vaccination before being able to register for the upcoming semester. Please note, if you have already submitted your Meningitis A form to the Student Health Center and have not been notified that your form was not accepted for incomplete data, you should be able to register for classes as soon as registration opens. For more information visit Meningitis Vaccination Requirement.

 Print this Checklist