Academic Advising (SAM Center)
Contact – email@example.com
- The Academic Success Center (ASC) at Sam Houston State University is a premiere student support center with the goal of providing indispensable success resources for every Bearkat. We meet students where they are in the learning process and empower them to achieve academic success.
- The Academic Success Center provides virtual and face-to-face tutoring in STEM courses, Writing, World Languages, and the College of Business Administration (COBA). The ASC supports students through faculty collaboration with embedded tutoring, writing fellows, study workgroups, workshops, and presentations.
- The Academic Success Center supports students through our learning coaching program by providing intentional academic skill development, such as, study preparation, accountability and time management.
- The Academic Success Center supports students on academic probation and suspension through academic recovery programs geared to promote student development and academic growth.
The mission of the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) is to promote equal access for students with disabilities to the educational programs, services, and activities at SHSU.
SSD affords students with disabilities the opportunity to reach their full potential by providing academic adjustments and auxiliary aids and services; promoting independence and self-advocacy; and making referrals to support services on campus and in the community.
SSD seeks to foster a supportive and inclusive environment for students with disabilities by building and maintaining partnerships with faculty and staff; promoting disability awareness on campus; and providing consultation services and outreach programming on student disability issues for the SHSU community.
- The First Gen Center (FGC) provides professional staff one-on-one mentoring to first-gen students to connect them to university resources, services, and provide them support.
- The Trailblazer Mentoring Program connects first-gen students to first-gen staff and faculty mentors to guide their academic journey.
- The FGC provides first-gen programming to advance a culture of engagement and perseverance.
- The FGC promotes a sense of belonging and empowers first-gen students to succeed (Proud to be First-Generation!)
- The Global Engagement Center (GEC) is responsible for all international students and scholars once they arrive at Sam Houston State University. GEC is located in the Farrington Building, room 116. Connect with is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (936) 294-4737.
- SHSU's Study Abroad Programs offer students the opportunity to engage in an educational and cultural learning experience. Students have the opportunity to study at one of our Exchange universities, on an Affiliated Transfer Credit program, or a SHSU Faculty-Led summer/winter term program. Students who meet the requirements may be eligible to receive study abroad scholarships. Students’ enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit may be considered enrolled at SHSU for the purpose of applying for assistance under the Federal Student Aid programs. Connect with us via email at email@example.com or call us at (936) 294-4737.
- UNIV 1101: Bearkat U. Come Teach with us and foster a sense of mentorship and community with new students. Establishing great professor and student relationships in the first year is a student success initiative at Sam Houston State University. Building a strong community of belonging happens with faculty in the UNIV 1101 classroom.
- SHSU Forward Program Initiative for former foster, orphans, wards of the court, or homeless students attending SAM. We have a dedicated committee of faculty and staff professionals who collaborate to find resources and support for these students.
- Adopt the SHSU Common Reader book in your courses
- Build community in your classroom and be part of creating a shared academic/intellectual experience and facilitate a campus-wide cross-disciplinary conversation. The program is supported with co-curricular events and scholarships.
- Adoption process
- Interested in being on the annual SHSU Common Reader book selection committee?