The Academic Success Center has moved!
The Academic Success Center is now open at the Newton Gresham Library (NGL) for Spring 2021. Interested in meeting with a tutor? Schedule an appointment with us or see availabilities for online or on-campus services.
Do you ever feel lost and confused here at SHSU? Do you wish you had a seasoned Bearkat to ask questions and get advice from? Are you unsure how to take advantage of all the services available to you on campus? Then peer mentoring at the Academic Success Center is here to assist you!
Let our Peer Mentors Help You
Peer mentors can meet one-on-one with students to help figure out which services best suit their needs. It is our peer mentor’s mission to help students navigate successfully through our university. They act as guides to help students connect with resources and understand concepts, such as:
- Study skills, including time management, goal setting, and test prep
- The importance of meeting with an advisor and registering for classes on time and ahead of deadlines
- How to plan your weekly schedule to successfully balance work, school, and play
- How to seek financial assistance with various offices on campus
- Where to find information on scholarships and how to apply for them
- How to better communicate with your instructor
Peer mentors can offer assistance to all students, but freshmen, new transfers, and other students recovering from academic probation are strongly encouraged to meet with a peer mentor to get back on track for successful graduation.
Interested in meeting with a peer mentor? Click here or click on the Schedule Now menu button to schedule an appointment with a peer mentor and see what they can do to assist you. We are under Academic Support in the Online Peer Mentoring category.