Former/Returning Students

Are you a Returning or Former SHSU Student Applicant?

Returning or former SHSU student applicants are undergraduate students who have attended SHSU in the past and are looking to complete a bachelor’s degree program at Sam Houston State University. Former/returning SHSU students may have completed transferable coursework at other colleges or universities.

If you attended SHSU in the past, obtained a bachelor’s degree at SHSU or another university and would like to pursue a graduate degree at Sam Houston State University, please see admissions information for prospective graduate students.

Steps to Apply for Admission as a Former/Returning SHSU Student

If you are a former SHSU student who did not attend the University within the last year, please submit all of the following:

  • Apply Texas Application for undergraduate admission and pay the required application fee.
  • Official transcript(s) from all institutions attended since last attending SHSU.

A returning student placed on academic probation during their last semester at SHSU will be readmitted on academic probation regardless of whether the student has since attended another institution.

Please note that if you were suspended or placed on probation, you must seek approval from the Dean of your identified College to be admitted to SHSU. The approval form must be taken to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. To find the appropriate Dean, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 936-294-1040.

Step 1: Complete the Online Application for SHSU

Complete an online application through ApplyTexas.organd pay the $45 non-refundable application fee at ApplyTexas.

Alternatively, you may pay the application fee directly to SHSU after completing your application through SHSU will receive your application within 24 hours of submission and after that period of time, you may mail a check to the Undergraduate Admissions Office or pay the application fee to SHSU with a credit or debit card.

Step 2: Submit Your Transcripts

If you have attended another institution since leaving SHSU, contact the school(s) to send official transcript(s) to SHSU.  SHSU requires transcripts from all institutions where you have enrolled in a course or courses, even if you did not attend or the course was not completed. 

  • Mail an official transcript to:
    Sam Houston State University
    Undergraduate Admissions Office
    Box 2418
    Huntsville TX 77341-2418
  • Or ask your school to send an electronic official transcript to Sam Houston State University (code: 003606).
  • Please note that SHSU does not accept fax or emailed transcripts.

Admission Requirements for Transfer Credit

Transfer CreditsRequirements
12-17 transfer credits Minimum 2.5 GPA
18+ transfer credits Minimum 2.0 GPA

Will My Credits Transfer?

Transferring classes from a college or university within Texas? See course credit transfer agreements with specific schools.

For transfers from all other schools:

Scholarship Opportunities

Visit our financial aid website to learn how to complete the FAFSA and to complete the Scholarship4Kats Application. You must be accepted to SHSU in order to complete a Scholarship4Kat application. Most scholarships available to fall applicants have an application priority deadline of November 1 with recipient selections through February.

What Are the Application Deadlines?

  • Fall: August 1
  • Spring: December 1
  • Summer: May 15