Physics ScholarshipsThe Department of Physics at Sam is ready to provide you with a world-class technical education — and we would like to make it as affordable as possible. Through the great generosity of our alumni and friends, and with the help of funds generated internally by the department, we are proud to offer a wide variety of outstanding scholarship opportunities. Awards are distributed each year based upon academic merit and financial need. Do you need some assistance to pursue a degree in physics? Please let us know, and complete your application at Scholarships4Kats.
- EARL H. BURROUGH ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP Recipients must be a native born U.S. citizen, a resident of Texas, a full-time student, and demonstrate financial need. A GPA of 3.60 is required for continuation of award. Number of awardees and size of award are variable, but typical value is $1,500 to $3,000 per semester.
- ROBERT AND ERIN STEELE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP Recipients must be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing, and demonstrate financial need. Preference is given to participants in the 3/2 dual-degree engineering and physics program. A GPA of 2.80 is required for award. Award value is $3,000 per year.
- JERRY AND JAN CALVERT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP Recipients must be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing, and demonstrate financial need. A GPA of 3.00 is required for award. Award value is $1,000 per year.
- L. MARCUS RIGBY AWARD Awarded to the best student performance in the introductory PHYS 1401, 1411, and 1422 sequence. One-time award value is $1000.
- FRESHMAN SCHOLARSHIPS IN PHYSICS Awarded to freshman physics majors who score above 1000 on the SAT and are in the top 25% of their high school graduating class. Award value is $1000.
- OUTSTANDING JUNIOR PHYSICS MAJOR A GPA of 3.00 is required for award. One-time award value is $1,000.
- OUTSTANDING SENIOR PHYSICS MAJOR A GPA of 3.00 is required for award. One-time award value is $1,000.
- OUTSTANDING ASTRONOMY STUDENT One-time award value is $1000.
- FACULTY SCHOLARSHIP Awarded to an outstanding physics major (or minors) selected by the faculty. One-time award value is $500.
- CHAIR'S AWARD Awarded to all physics majors who maintain a 3.5 GPA who are not receiving another major award. One-time award value is $1,000.
Awards may be contingent upon continued enrollment as a full-time physics major at SHSU and are dependent upon availability of funding.
- Scholarships4Kats Priority Deadline: November 1st
- The FAFSA application must be completed to be considered for various scholarships.
Please select the links below for helpful resources and tips regarding Financial Aid assistance.