José A. Santiago
Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology
Dr. José A. Santiago is an associate professor in the Department of Kinesiology at Sam Houston State University. He presently serves as the Physical Education Teacher Education Program Coordinator. Dr. Santiago earned his doctorate in curriculum and instruction from Texas Southern University and his master’s in physical education from Indiana State University. His research focuses on physical education teacher content knowledge. Dr. Santiago’s research has been published in The Physical Educator, Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, The International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance Journal of Research, and Texas AHPERD Journal. Prior to Sam Houston State University, Dr. Santiago served for two and a half years as the elementary Health and Physical Education Coordinator in Houston Independent School District. Dr. Santiago taught elementary physical education at Roy P. Benavidez Elementary School in Houston ISD from 2001-2007. He also served as an assistant women’s volleyball coach at Rice University in Houston from 1996-2001. For the past 15 years, Dr. Santiago has been an active member of SHAPE America and Texas Association for Health Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (TAHPERD). Presently, Dr. Santiago serves in the Physical Education Teacher Education Initial Standards Writing Task Force for SHAPE America. In addition to his involvement in a number of TAHPERD committees, Dr. Santiago has served as Vice-President of the General Division, editor of the Physical Education Section of the TAHPERD Journal, and Chair of the Diversity Section. He was recently elected to serve as the Vice-president for the College Division of TAHPERD. Dr. Santiago played volleyball for the University of Puerto Rico men’s varsity team and the Puerto Rico National Club League.
- Ed.D., Curriculum and Instruction
Texas Southern University, Houston, TX
- M.A., Physical Education
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
- B.A. , Physical Education
University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras, PR
Honors and Awards
- TAHPERD University Physical Education Teacher of the Year, 2013
- SHSU College of Education Outstanding Award in Teaching, 2013
- TAHPERD, Poster Session Professional Research Award, December 2009
- University of Puerto Rico, Dept. of Physical Education, Academic Excellence Award, 1994
- University of Puerto Rico, Intercollegiate Men’s Volleyball League, MVP, 1993
- Santiago, J.A., Roper, E.A., Disch, J.G., & Morales, J. (2013). The relationship among aerobic capacity, body composition, and academic achievement of fourth and fifth grade Hispanic students. The Physical Educator, 70(1), 88-104.
- Santiago, J.A., Disch, J.G., & Morales, J. (2012). Elementary physical education teachers’ content knowledge of physical activity and health-related fitness. The Physical Educator, 69(4), 395-412.
- Santiago, J.A., Morales, J., Disch, J.G., & Gaus, M. (2011). The Development of an instrument to assess physical education teachers’ content knowledge of physical activity and health-related fitness: A pilot study. The TAHPERD Journal 80(1), 14-17.
- Santiago, J.A., & Roper, E.A. (2011). The role of the physical educator in educating students with disabilities. In C. Simpson & J.P. Bakken (Eds). A collaborative approach to teaching children with special needs. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press, Inc.