Professor, Coordinator of Public Health & Health Science Majors, Coordinator for Health Communications Certificate, Department of Population Health
Stephen L. Brown Ph.D., a Professor of Public Health, has been with the department of Population Health in the College of Health Sciences at Sam Houston State University since 2014. He has taught Public Health courses at the undergraduate, masters and doctoral levels for 20 years, primarily in public health, community health, health promotion, mental/emotional health, and research methods. In addition to Sam Houston State University, he has also taught at the University of Maryland and Southern Illinois University. Currently, he is also the coordinator for the Health Sciences major.
He has academic degrees is administration, worksite wellness and public health. Dr. Brown has published more than 40 studies related to health promotion and public health in various national and international journals and dozens of conference presentations. And has published two book related to consumer health issues. He has collaborated with various community health boards over the years and also does consulting for program development.
- 2001 University of Maryland, Public and Community Health
- 1997 Arizona State University, Exercise and Wellness
- 1992 Brigham Young University, Business Management
Areas of expertise:
- Public Health, specifically:
- Adolescent and young adult health literacy
- Stress management and emotional health education
- Brown, SL., Xie, Y. and Scarbrough, A. (2019) Pre–Post Release Health in US Adult Male Convicts, Journal of Social Service Research, 45(5), 609-621.
- Kim, J, and Brown, SL., (2018) "The Associations between Leisure, Stress, and Health Behavior in University Students" American Journal of Health Education. 49(6): 375-383 https://doi.org/10.1080/19325037.2018.1516583
- Brown, SL, (2017) Teaching Economic Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs. Pedagogy in Health Promotion. Online first: 1-8. DOI: 10.1177/2373379916671958 [Awarded: Paper of the Year 2018]