Students in the Department of Forensic Science contribute to the knowledge base of forensic science and produce research directed at improving the practice of forensic science. Our students demonstrate the integration of knowledge, skills and abilities through independent research and scholarly inquiry.
An important measure of student achievement is our ability to publish and present original research in the field of forensic science.
Our mission is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to prepare them for successful careers in forensic science. Our students go on to pursue rewarding careers in forensic science.
See how success unfolds at SHSU.
- Rigorous core curriculum with a multi-discipline approach
- Flexibility to tailor the degree to your specific needs and goals
- Faculty with real world experience
- State-of-the-art facility located centrally on campus
- Access to scientific equipment found in crime labs
- Intensive hands-on graduate teaching laboratories
- Internship program with strong ties to accredited crime laboratories, offering a wide range of disciplines and geographical locations
- Independent research with experienced forensic science faculty
- Ability for students in the MSFS program to transfer credits into the PhD program upon completion of their 2nd year of coursework
- Proven post graduate success
- Employment and postgraduate success averaged 96% over the past ten years.
- The majority of our graduates accepted employment in DNA, Toxicology, Controlled Substances (Drugs), Firearms and Trace.
- Almost sixty percent are employed in the public sector, working in government forensic laboratories at the federal, state, county, or city level. An increasing number of graduates pursue careers in the private sector (industry) or in research.