Degree Plan  Scholarships Courses


Graduate Scholarships

For more information, visit the Financial Aid Office. Or call the Aid Office at 936-294-1774 (Toll Free: 1-866-BEARKAT). 

Office of Graduate Studies
General Scholarships

The Office of Graduate Studies awards competitive graduate student scholarships for fall, spring, and summer semesters. A qualified student must submit a scholarship application form and supply all supporting documentation, including a personal statement, a letter of recommendation, and a CV. See the application form for more information, including deadlines.

College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Special Graduate Student Scholarships

The College of Humanities and Social Sciences awards competitive graduate student scholarships. They are awarded to selected graduate students who have demonstrated an excellent academic record and community citizenship. To be considered for the CHSS Special Graduate Scholarship, a Sam Houston State University student must be enrolled as a graduate student during the semester in which the scholarship is applied. Recipients will be notified in Spring semester on the amount of scholarships for Fall and Spring. Applicants must provide expected enrollment status for the next academic year. Applicants must provide expected graduation date. Applicants must upload 2 letters of recommendation (preferably from SHSU faculty) to the Scholarships4Kats application. Once awarded, scholarship is contingent upon student maintaining a 3.5 GPA and enrollment status. For more information about the CHSS scholarship, contact Ms. Toni Abshire, Administrative Assistant in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, by either phone (936-294-2205) or e-mail (

The Paul Ruffin Award

Paul Ruffin was a long-time faculty member in the Department of English, the founder of the Texas Review and the Texas Review Press, a writer of fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, a Regents University Professor and the one-time Poet Laureate of the State of Texas. Established with the support of his friends, this award offers a current MFA student $1,000 and, in keeping with the spirit of Dr. Ruffin, is awarded each spring (for the following academic year) to the author of the best humor essay submitted by the deadline. See Dr. Scott Kaukonen ( for more information.

University Center Scholarship

Students who take at least six semester hours at The University Center in The Woodlands may apply for this scholarship. The student receives $1,000 ($500 per semester). The student must apply annually for the scholarship, by the posted deadline. For more information about the University Center scholarship, contact Dr. Dina Flores-Mejorado, SHSU Academic Officer at The University Center, by either phone (936-273-7518) or e-mail (

The Graduate Assistantship in English

The Department of English offers graduate assistantships for qualified students. The graduate assistant is awarded a $9,800 stipend for an academic year (two long terms) and qualifies for state health benefits. The typical assistantship is renewable for a total of six long terms. The graduate assistant usually works twenty hours a week. A graduate assistant will be assigned to one (or more) of the following positions each semester, depending on need and available openings. The Chair of the Department of English makes all graduate assistant assignments.

Teaching Assistantship

Teaching assistants typically work their way up the rungs of freshman English classes:

ENGL 0331 (Developmental English)

The graduate assistant helps students who have not yet managed to meet the University’s entrance-level writing standards. In remediating these students, the instructor concentrates on the fundamentals of composition—grammar, sentence construction, mechanics, and the basics of organizing and developing a simple essay.

ENGL 1301 (Composition I)

After earning eighteen hours of graduate credit, as required by the University’s accrediting body, the teaching assistant may be assigned to a Composition I class, which concentrates on formulating and developing a single thesis through an essay and on English syntax, diction, and rhetoric.

ENGL 1302 (Composition II)

Some teaching assistants are given the opportunity to teach Composition II, which picks up with the basic skills mastered in English 1301 but helps the students in the course develop more complex modes or patterns of writing. It also concentrates on research writing across the disciplines.

Writing Center Tutor

The Sam Houston State University Writing Center, to which a number of graduate assistants are assigned as tutors, offers help in writing to students, staff, faculty, and members of the community. After training, Writing Center assistants typically work twenty hours a week, usually one-on-one with freshman and sophomore students who need help in planning and writing essays for classes across the disciplines in the core curriculum. But they may also give advice on writing résumés, lab reports, and job and scholarship application letters.

For further information about the Writing Center, contact Ms. Ann Theodori, Writing Center Director:

Texas Review and Texas Review Press Assistantships

Some graduate assistants serve part-time editorial assistantships in the offices of either the Texas Review or the Texas Review Press, where they gain valuable professional experience in the day-to-day editing and publishing work of a literary journal and a university press, respectively. For further information, contact Dr. Scott Kaukonen ( or Professor Nick Lantz (

Research Assistantship

Depending upon need, some qualified graduate assistants serve as research assistants to faculty engaged in scholarly projects. Contact Dr. Scott Kaukonen ( for more information.

Qualifying for the Graduate Assistantship

The applicant for a graduate assistantship must:

  • be a student accepted in regular admission status;
  • submit an application for assistant instructor

Application Deadlines for Graduate Assistantships*

  • Fall        March 15
  • Spring    October 15

*Graduate assistantships are generally not available during the summer.

Submit the application form to the following address:

Dr. Jacob Blevins
Chair, Department of English
Sam Houston State University
Box 2146
Huntsville TX 77341-2146

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor | Last Modified:Fri Mar 02 16:13:48 CST 2018