How to get Help on Campus

If you, or a friend, are in need of help for alcohol or drug abuse, there are resources on campus to help you.

For ALCOHOL OVERDOSE, contact EMS IMMEDIATELY! On campus, call 4-1000. Off-campus, dial 911.

  1. Call 911 immediately (4-1000 from campus phones)
  2. Do not leave the person alone
  3. Place the person on his/her side
  4. Monitor the person's breathing and heart rate periodically
  5. If breathing or heart rate ceases, begin CPR
  6. If vomiting occurs, clear the airway by sweeping vomited material out of the person's mouth

To contact the University Crisis Team, call the University Police Department at 936-294-1794 or in an emergency situation; dial 4-1000 on campus.

For help regarding substance abuse and addiction issues, contact the SHSU Counseling Center for set up an appointment by calling 936-294-1720.

If you were sexually assaulted or suspect that you were sexually assaulted, contact the Sexual Assault Response Team. A team member will be dispatched to help you.

  1. Between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., call 936-294-1720
  2. Anytime, call UPD at 936-294-1794.

For help regarding violations of the student guidelines or risk management procedures, contact the Dean of Students Office at 936-294-1785 or visit and Ask the Raven.

For non-emergency medical help, contact the Student Health Center at 936-294-1805.

For all other questions or concerns, contact the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Initiative at 936-294-1171.

Rosanne S. Keathley, Ph.D.
ADAI Coordinator
SHSU Box 2176
Huntsville, TX 77341-2176
Phone: 936-294-1171
Fax: 926-294-3891