Dr. Mitchel Roth joined the faculty in 1995. His areas of interest include terrorism, organized crime, comparative policing, history of criminal justice and related issues. He has written 14 books on the history of criminal justice, the history of the Houston Police Department, the Texas Department of Public Safety and Sam Houston State University's College of Criminal Justice; war journalism; organized crime, prison history; and the American West. Roth has appeared or been featured on CNN, FOX, local televisions stations, and the PBS series on organized crime, Lords of the Mafia. In April 2006 he was one of featured experts on PBS's History Channel program on the 10 Commandments, where he discussed the criminal justice related commandments from an historical perspective. Dr. Roth was Selected Fellow by Freedom for Defense of Democracies, Counter-Terrorism study in Tel Aviv in 2008. He served as the Secretary-Treasurer of the International Association for the Study of Organized Crime from 1999-2001.
- Sever, M., & Roth, M.P. (2012). Public perceptions of white collar crime in Turkey and some comparison with the United States. Asian Journal of Criminology. Advance online publication.
- Roth, M. P., & Kennedy, T (2012). Houston Blue: The Story of the Houston Police Department. Denton, Texas: University of North Texas Press.
- Akyuz, K., Cihan, A., & Roth, M.P. (2011). Striking a balance between liberty & security: The debate over American counterterrorism policies since 9/11. In F. Redding and G. Bonham, (Eds.), Flawed Criminal Justice Policies, (pp. 107-124). Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press.
- Roth, M. (2011). Crime and Punishment (2nd edition). Florence, KY: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- Roth, M. (2011). A history of crime and punishment: Readings and documents in criminal justice. University Readers Inc.
- Sever, M., & Roth, M.P. (2011). The convergence of terrorism and organized crime: The case of PKK. In C. Strozier and J. Frank, (Eds.) The PKK: Financial Sources, Social and Political Dimensions, pp. 124-145. VDM Verlag Dr. Muller.
- Williams, C., & Roth, M.P. (2011). The importation and re-exportation of organized crime: Explaining the rise and fall of the Jamaican posses in the United States. Trends in Organized Crime 14(4), 1-16.
- Roth, M. (2010). Global Organized Crime. Oxford, UK: ABC-CLIO, LLC.