Hiranya K Nath
Professor of Economics
Department of Economics and Intl. Business
College of Business Administration
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2118
Fax : 936-294-3488
241E, Smith-Hutson Business Building (map)
My Cyber Locations:
My Official Page at SHSU ECOGoogle Scholar
BE Press Selected Works
Primary Research Interests: Monetary Economics, Macroeconomic Time Series Analysis
Specific Research Interests: Disaggregate Price Behavior
Other Research Interests: Information Economics
Published and Forthcoming
- "What determines international tourist arrivals in India?." (with Hemanta Barman) Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 24(2), 180-190, 2019
- "Inflation and Relative Price Variability: New Evidence from Survey-Based Measures of Inflation Expectation in Australia." (with Jayanta Sarkar) Empirical Economics Online First: May 19, 2018
- "The telecommunications Divide among Indian States." (with Hemanta Barman and Mrinal K Dutta) Telecommunications Policy 42(7), 530-551, 2018
- "India's Comparative Advantages in Services Trade." (with Binoy Goswami) Eurasian Economic Review 18(2), 323-342, 2018
- "Heterogeneous Climatic Impacts on Agricultural Production: Evidence from Rice Yield in Assam, India." (with Raju Mandal)Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development 15(1), 23-42, 2018
- "Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Services Trade." (with Lirong Liu) Information Economics and Policy 41, 81-87, 2017
- "Are Bilateral Real Exchange Rates Stationary? Revisiting Evidence from India." (with Soumya Kanti Ghosh)Theoretical Economics Letters 6, 1196-1204, 2016
- "A note on the cyclical behavior of sectoral employment in the U.S." Economic Analysis and Policy 50, 52-61, 2016
- "Health costs of arsenic contamination of drinking water in Assam, India." (with Ratul Mahanta and Jayashree Chowdhury) Economic Analysis and Policy 49, 32-49, 2016
- "Comparative Advantages in U.S. Bilateral Services Trade with China and India." (with Lirong Liu and Kiril Tochkov) Journal of Asian Economics 38, 79-92, 2015.
- "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics: Evidence from India." (with Natalie Hegwood) Economic Analysis and Policy 44(4), 396-404, 2014
- "Natural Resources and Sustainable Development." Journal of Global Studies, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1 - 20, 2014. (Working Paper Version)
- “City Relative Price Dynamics in Australia: Are Structural Breaks Important?” (with Jayanta Sarkar) The Economic Record, Vol. 90, No. 288, 33-48, 2014.
- “Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Trade in Emerging Market Economies.” (with Lirong Liu) Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Vol. 49, No. 6, 67-87, 2013. (A longer working paper version)
- “Structural Breaks and Relative Price Convergence among U.S. Cities.” (with Natalie D. Hegwood) Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol. 36, No.1,150-160, 2013.
- “Relative Inflation Dynamics in the New EU Member Countries of Central and Eastern Europe.” (with Kiril Tochkov) Empirical Economics, Vol. 45, No. 1, 1 - 22 (Lead Article), 2013.
- "Remittances and Relative Prices" (with Carlos Vargas-Silva) Review of Development Economics, Vol. 16, No. 1, 45-61, 2012.
- “ICT Capital and Employment of Information Workers: Are They Related?” International Journal of Engineering Managment and Economics, Vol. 2, No. 2/3, 111-131, 2011.
- "Relative Price Convergence Among US Cities: Does the Numeraire City Matter?" (with Viera Chmelarova) Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol.32, No. 1, 405-414, 2010.
- "The Implications of a South-South Customs Union on Tariffs, Welfare, and the Prospectof Global Free Trade." (with Halis M. Yildiz) Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 27, No. 1, 75-91, 2010.
- "Workers' Migration and Remittances in Bangladesh." (with Khawaja A. Mamun) Journal of Business Strategies, Vol.27, No. 1, 29 - 52, 2010.
- "Do regions matter for the behavior of city relative prices in the U. S.?" (with Viera Chmelarova) The Empirical Economics Letters, Vol. 8, No. 11, 2009.
- "Unbiased Estimation of the Half-Life to Price Index Convergence among US Cities." (with Jayanta Sarkar) Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1041 - 1046, 2009.
- "International Productivity Differences and Roles of Domestic Investment, FDI and Trade." (with Gouranga G. Das and Halis M Yildiz) , International Economic Journal, Vol. 23, No. 1, 121-142, 2009.
- "Country Risk Analysis: A Survey of the Quantitative Methods." Economia Internazionale/International Economics, Vol. LXII, No. 1, 69-94, 2009.
- "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: Evidence from Transition Economies." Comparative Economic Studies, Vol. 51, No. 1, 20-50, 2009.
- "Information Services in the US Economy: Value, Jobs, and Management Implications" (with Uday Apte and Uday Karmarkar), California Management Review, Vol. 50, No.3, 12-30, 2008. [Listed as one of the noteworthy articles from the business journals by The Economist, June 2008]
- "Inflation and Relative Price Variability in Mexico: The Role of Remittances" (with J. Ulyses Balderas) , Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 181-185, 2008.
- "Trade, Growth, and Wage Inequality in Bangladesh" (with Khawaja A Mamun), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Vol. 16. No.4, 505-528, 2007
- "Diminishing Marginal Impatience: Its Promises for Asset Pricing" (with Jayanta Sarkar), Applied Financial Economics Letters, Vol.2, No.1, 61-64, 2006
- "Small Menu Costs and Large Business Cycles: An Extension of the Mankiw Model" (with Robert Stretcher), Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, Vol.6,No.2, 21-32, 2005
- "Export-led Growth in Bangladesh: A Time Series Analysis" (with Khawaja A Mamun), Applied Economics Letters, Vol.12, No. 6, 361-364, 2005
- "Assessing Cross-Industry Effects of B2B e-Commerce" (with Uday M. Apte) Journal of Strategic E-Commerce, Vol.2, No.2, 51-80, 2004
- "Relative Importance of Sectoral and Aggregate Sources of Price Changes," Applied Economics ,Vol.36, No.16, 1781-1796, 2004
- "Inflation and Relative Price Variability: Short-Run vs. Long-Run," Economics Letters , Vol.82, No.3, 363-369, 2004
- "Relative Price Changes as Supply Shocks: Evidence from U.S. Cities" Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Vol.41, Nos.3 and 4, 3-20, 2004
- “The US Information Economy: Value, Employment, Industry Structure, and Trade.” (with Uday M. Apte and Uday S. Karmarkar) Foundations and Trends in Technology, Information and Operations Management, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-180 (2012)
Book Chapters and Other Publications
- "The Growth of Information-Intensive Services in the U.S. Economy." (with Uday M. Apte and Uday S. Karmarkar). In Bryson, J. and P. Daniels (eds) The Handbook of Service Business: Management, Marketing, Innovation and Internationalisation, Cheltenham, U.K.: Edward Elgar Publishing 2015
- "Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India's Retail Sector." Space and Culture, India, Vol 1, No. 1, 2013 (Review Article)
- “U.S. Trade in Information-Intensive Services” (with Uday M. Apte) In U.S. Karmarkar and V. Mangal (eds): The UCLA Anderson Business and Information Technologies (BIT) Project: A Global Study of Business Practice, Singapore: World Scientific Books, (2012).
- “Relative Inflation Dynamics in the EU Accession Countries of Central and Eastern Europe.” (with Kiril Tochkov) Bulgarian National Bank Discussion Paper DP/84/2011
- "The Size, Structure and Growth of the U.S. Information Economy." (with Uday M. Apte) in U.M. Apte and U.S. Karmakar (eds): Managing in the Information Economy: Current Research Issues, Springer Science and Business Media, LLC, Norwell , MA , (2007) (Abstract) (Also, a BIT Working Paper at UCLA Anderson School of Management)
- "The Rise of an Enclave Economy." in Alokesh Barua (ed): India's Northeast: Development Issues in a Historical Perspective, Manohar - Centre De Sciences Humaines, 2005
- "Service Industries in Today's Information Economy." (with Uday M. Apte) in Proceedings of Service Operations Management Conference August 2000
- "Development Dynamics at the Margin." Space and Culture, India, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2014 (Editorial)
- "Special Issue on Migration, Remittances, and Regional Trade Agreements: An Introduction.” Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 27, No. 1, 1-6 (Spring 2010)
- Book Review of Multinational Enterprises in Asian Development by Prema-chandra Athukorala. Cheltenham (UK) and Northampton (USA): Edward Elgar, 2007, xv, 282 pp. Journal of Asian Business (forthcoming)
- "Special Issue on Migration and Remittances: An Introductory Note” Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 26, No. 1, 1-7 (Spring 2009)
- "The Information Society” SIBCOLTEJO – A Journal of Sibsagar College Teachers’ Unit, Vol. IV, 19 -29 (2008)
- “Illegal Migration into Assam: Magnitude, Causes, and Economic Consequences” (with Suresh Kr. Nath) (January 2011)
- "Simulation of FOMC Meeting: Learning about Monetary Policy by Doing." (March 2005)
- "Foreign direct investment and inequality in productivity across countries." (with Gouranga G. Das and Halis M. Yildiz) (January 2005)
- "Nominal Price Rigidities in a Multisector Model." (with Nathan S. Balke) (October 2003)
- "Sectoral Price Changes and Output growth: Supply and Demand in General Equilibrium." (with Nathan S. Balke) (February 2003)
- "Relative Efficiency of Small Scale Industries in India: An Inter-State Comparison." (September 1997)
- Cotton College: the road to varsity The Assam Tribune, August 29, 2011
- Business Lessons at the Bottom of the Pyramid Friends, vol. II (2011), pp. 75 -76
- On Education and School Teachers in Assam Luitor Pora Mississippi (2009) and Friends, vol. II (2011), pp. 25 -27.
- A few thoughts on higher education in Assam Luit to Thames (2009)
- On Economic Growth and Development of Assam Luitor Pora Mississippi (2008), pp. 23 - 25.
- Reflections on the Elusive Quest for Assam's Growth and Economic Development Luit to Thames (2008), pp. 178-179.
- ECON 2301: Principles of Macroeconomics [Fall and Spring Semester]
- ECON 2302: Principles of Microeconomics [Spring Semester]
- ECON 4373: Monetary Economics [Fall and Spring Semester]
- ECON 5300: Economic Principles and Policy [Fall Semester]
Assam Scholarship Fund
SHSU Economics Working Papers
Countries that I have visited
States of the US that I have visited
Portrait of 'an ECONOMIST
DisclaimerThe contents of this page is the sole responsibility of Hiranya K Nath, and do not necessarily represent the opinions or policies of Sam Houston State University. This page is maintained by Hiranya Nath who may be contacted at email@example.com