While our campus may appear quiet this summer, we are spending an enormous amount of effort and activity behind the scenes to ensure we make our university as safe as possible and provide a meaningful college experience this fall.
The final phase of our return-to-operations plan goes into effect July 1. All buildings are expected to be open and the majority of employees will be working on campus. Due to the sharp rise in COVID-19 cases and guidance from state leadership as well as health experts, Sam Houston State University is instituting a mandatory face-covering requirement, effective Monday June 29.
- All students, faculty, staff and visitors must wear face coverings except in their private office or residence or where impractical. "Impractical" is defined as those persons involved in physical activity, performance or eating.
- Individuals requiring an exception for health reasons must complete documentation through Services for Students with Disabilities.
We will continue to work closely with county emergency management and the Texas Department of State Health Services to ensure safety practices and protocols are maintained.
As we look for new ways to come together, face coverings have become a new form of refuge. They represent our resiliency, our empathy, our ability to confidently move forward. More importantly, it is through this service, we are able to help protect fellow members of our Bearkat community.
While we have reported on other significant decisions regarding a safe return to campus, below is a recap along with important dates you might need to prepare for your fall classes:
- SUMMER II first day of class, July 1 (Remote or online instruction)
- Student support services (advising, registration, financial aid, etc.) opens on a limited basis to the public on July 1. All services continue to be offered online to meet individual needs and promote safety practices. Go to the appropriate webpage for further instruction.
- A virtual commencement will be held for Spring and Summer graduates on August 1 at 1 pm. Gen. Colin L. Powell, USA (Ret.) is scheduled as the keynote speaker.
- RESIDENCE HALLS OPEN for occupancy August 14 – 16. Move-in will be conducted in phases with scheduled appointments in order to limit the number of people in the buildings and promote physical distancing. More details will be forthcoming to students from the Department of Residence Life.
- FALL REGISTRATION IS OPEN. New student orientations have started and are being conducted through a virtual format. Fall classroom teaching and on-campus operations will resume August 17, 2020.
- FACE-TO-FACE CLASSES IN THE FALL! For the majority of fall classes, students will receive instruction that combines in-person interaction with their faculty member and remote instruction.
- FUN AND SAFETY are not mutually exclusive. We are scheduling plenty of exciting activities for the fall that will allow for both enjoyment and social distancing.
Dana G. Hoyt, President