March 9, 2021
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the university’s protocols and the cooperation of our community, have successfully worked to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Recently, some variants of COVID-19 have been found to be more contagious and researchers believe they can reinfect people who already have gotten the virus. Doctors and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention still recommend wearing facial coverings, physical distancing, and proper hand hygiene as critically important measures.
After careful consideration of scientific data, analysis of local conditions and consultation with the Office of General Council and medical professionals, beginning March 10, 2021, the university will:
- Continue to require all individuals in ALL buildings on the Sam Houston State University campus to wear face coverings.
- Modify the face covering requirement outside. Masks will only be required in outside campus areas where:
- Physical distancing (6 feet or more) is NOT possible
- Where congestion is likely and,
- At prescribed events, including all Athletic events
The health and safety of faculty, staff, students and guests remains the top priority at SHSU. With only seven weeks left in the semester after Spring Break, we are confident that all Bearkats will continue to remain vigilant in the ongoing fight against COVID-19.
Let’s finish the semester strong and keep Sam Houston State healthy. Mask ‘em up Kats!