Updated as of January 3, 2022
Face Coverings (Optional)
All unvaccinated members of the SHSU community are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings when indoors in public spaces. Those who are fully vaccinated are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings indoors in public spaces during periods of "substantial" or "high" transmission.
Faculty Office Hours
GA-38 prohibits the university from requiring face coverings, therefore they cannot be required during office hours. If desired, the instructor may choose to hold office hours outdoors or in larger rooms to accommodate face-to-face meetings. It is also acceptable to hold office hours virtually via Zoom.
Classroom Preventative Maintenance
Air Filtration Upgrades*
- Existing HVAC equipment that could support MERV-15/15a filters were upgraded to this level of filtration;
- Existing HVAC equipment which could not be upgraded to use MERV-15/15a filters were upgraded with a combination of MERV 9 filters and UVC light; or
- Stand-alone HEPA filtration units were installed in densely occupied spaces.
*These options are 90 percent effective in filtering out particles the size of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
Plexiglass Barriers (Optional)
Each classroom will have a plexiglass barrier for optional use by faculty members.
- Capacities of all university-controlled spaces have returned to pre-COVID levels
- Exceptions based on risk profile/CDC recommendations may continue to be enforced on a case-by-case basis
- Buffer space will be provided in all areas so individuals have the opportunity to social distance
- COVID-19 testing for faculty and staff will continue to be offered throughout the semester
Positive Case Reporting & Follow Up
- Faculty and staff are encouraged to continue to self-report
COVID-Related Accommodations – Faculty/Staff
- Any faculty/staff required to isolate or quarantine because of COVID-related illness or precaution will follow the same process in place for absences related to other illnesses.
- Faculty/staff must provide a doctor’s note to return to work for periods longer than 3 days
- Faculty/staff identified as a close contact and who must stay home must provide a doctor’s note to email@example.com.
- Faculty/staff who need to request workplace accommodations may submit personal and medical documentation in accordance with HR Policy ER-5.
Pre-COVID travel approval processes for university-sponsored travel (both international and domestic) are in effect. The university recommends all employees follow CDC and/or State Department pre/post travel guidance based on individual vaccination status.
- Standard event approval processes are in effect.