April 3, 2020
- Closing and consolidating residence halls effective April 5
- For students moving home, all belonging must be out of residence halls by April 5
- Must voluntarily check out of residence hall by April 5 to receive 40% credit
- Spring Commencement: July 30 & 31 (order cap & gown by July 7)
April 1, 2020
- New federal employee leave information in Employee FAQ
- Allowances to grading structure in Student FAQ
- Closing and consolidation of residence halls effective April
March 31, 2020
- Starting March 23, all courses will be delivered through remote delivery. Student services are open and available in remote formats.
- Residence halls are open. Students who voluntarily checkout will receive a credit. See Student FAQs for more information.
- New employee leave information in Employee FAQ.
- Commencement will not be cancelled, but the May ceremonies will be postponed until July 30th and July 31st. Those scheduled to graduate in May will have their degree conferred with May’s date.
March 27, 2020
You must self-report and self-quarantine for 14-days (following CDC quarantine procedures) if you or someone in your household:
- Travelled via public, common carrier (i.e., bus, train, plane, vans) within the last 14 days
- Was contacted by a county or health agency regarding a possible exposure
- Came in contact with someone who has been experiencing COVID-19 systems of measured fever, cough, or difficulty breathing
- Are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms of measured fever, cough, or difficulty breathing
*This is based upon the CDC Risk Assessment and SHSU Requirements
March 19, 2020
- SHSU will no longer be offering dine-in services, but hot meals will be provided in to-go containers for all meals
- The Recreational Sports Center/HKC is closed. Visit the Rec Sports website for online fitness and programming.
March 16, 2020
SHSU Travel Restrictions and Self-Quarantine Requirements
If you or someone in your household travelled via public, common carrier (i.e. bus, train, plane, vans, etc.), from March 7 until further notice, you must self-quarantine, beginning on the date of your return, for 14-days. Follow CDC guidelines on how to quarantine. You must self-report, if you haven’t previously done so, using our online form.
As of March 15, 2020, all university-related travel by common carrier has been canceled through April 14, 2020. All non-essential university travel is suspended for the same time period. Any questions regarding non-essential travel should be directed to your supervisor.
March 12, 2020
SHSU Campus Closure
In response to growing concerns over Novel Coronavirus – COVID 19, Sam Houston State University will extend spring break for students. Faculty and staff should report to work on Monday, March 16. This decision is out of an abundance of caution to prevent the spread of COVID-19 to our campus community.
- Spring Break is extended through March 22. Beginning March 23, SHSU will move courses to remote delivery for the remainder of the spring semester. Pertinent information will come from your faculty members prior to March 23.
- Residence halls will remain open. All other campus services will remain open (i.e. dining, library, computer labs, health center), operating under normal business hours as posted on their webpage.
- At this time, large events over 250 people are cancelled through March 23. Additionally, the Southland Conference has cancelled all athletic competition through March 30.
- Any international travelers must follow CDC travel warning guidelines including self-reporting on the shsu.edu/coronavirus website.
We will continue to provide updates related to COVID-19 at shsu.edu/coronavirus.
March 11, 2020
- All students, faculty, or staff who meet the below criteria may NOT return to campus and must self-quarantine for 14 days. To activate your self-quarantine in the university's records, you must report self-quarantine using our online form.
- Travel: Returning from international locations.
- Potential Exposure: Exposed to the virus