Intramural Sports Policies & Procedures Handbook
The Intramural Sports Policies and Procedures Handbook has more specific information regarding everything listed below on this page.
Intramural events are open to currently enrolled SHSU students (one or more hours) and SHSU faculty/staff.
Divisions of Play
Major team sports feature several divisions. Male students have the option of playing in the A (Competitive), B (Recreational), or Greek divisions. Females have an open division. Co-Rec (males and females on the same team) divisions are also offered in all major team sports.
Major Team Sports (Flag Football, Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball, Softball):
- Different divisions of play are offered for competitive team sports.
- Men's divisions include A, B, and Greek.
- Co-Rec divisions include A and B.
- Women's divisions include only an Open division.
- Several leagues for each division are offered Sunday - Thursday.
- Each team plays in a four-team round robin league.
- The regular season consists of three games (one game each week).
- All teams that meet the minimum sportsmanship standard qualify for the single elimination post-season play-off.
Team Sport Tournaments (Indoor Soccer, 4v4 Flag Football, Sand Volleyball, Dodgeball, etc.)
- Competitive team sport tournaments are offered during a one and a half to 3 week time-span.
- Teams are guaranteed one game. Depending on the number of teams, either a single elimination format or pool play format will be used.
- In most cases, you will play more than one game in a week. Also, it is possible to play multiple games in one night.
- Generally, men's, women's and co-rec divisions are offered.
One-Day Tournaments (Tennis, Racquetball, Xbox 360, Spikeball, etc.)
- Events take place during one scheduled day of activity.
- Single elimination format is utilized for all one-day tournaments.
- Competitive tournaments are offered for singles or doubles in a variety of racquet sports.
- Competitive and recreational divisions are offered if enough participants register for the event.
- Pre-registration is not necessary. You can just show up at the time of the event and you will be placed in the bracket.
- Example - Tennis Singles tournament is scheduled for Wednesday, February 21st at 6pm. On that day at 6pm, everyone that is present will be placed in a single elimination bracket and the whole tournament will be played that night.
Team Sports Registration - Register Online
You can form your own team by getting together a group of friends, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, dorm mates or club members or any combination in between. Teams must register online by clicking on the link above.
Free Agents - Register Online
If you do not have enough players to create a team but would still like to participate in Intramural Sports, please sign up as a free agent through our IMLeagues website. Captains will be able to see who is a free agent and can request for you to join there team.
One Night Tournament Registration
You can register by just showing up at the time of the event and you will be placed in the bracket. No prior registration is necessary.
Location of Events - Facilities
Team sports play Sunday through Thursday evenings at the SHSU Intramural Fields and the Recreational Sports Center. Other events may take place at Pritchett Field, Johnson Coliseum and Bowers Stadium.