What is an Affiliated Transfer Credit Study Abroad Program?
- It is a 3rd Party Company that provides Study Abroad services.
- You DO NOT pay any tuition & fees to SHSU. The only SHSU fee you will be charged is the $200 Study Abroad Service Fee. All other costs are paid directly to the program.
- You will receive transfer credit from the university you attend while you are abroad. Your courses will be coming in as transfer credit, not SHSU credit. That means your grades will only affect your overall GPA, NOT your SHSU GPA.
- SHSU Financial Aid can be applied for independent study abroad programs.
- Office of International Programs' Study Abroad Scholarship is available for all SHSU study abroad students who have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- The Study Abroad Coordinator in the Office of International Programs will assist you in ensuring the courses you take will transfer back in correctly.
NOTE: If you do not receive authorization from the SHSU Study Abroad Office for your Transfer Credit Study Abroad program (even through an Affiliate), you will NOT receive credit.
Application Documents Required for an Affiliated Transfer Credit Program
|Prior to Acceptance|
|Affiliate Transfer Credit Program Application||Copy of Unofficial Transcript|
|Course Equivalency Form|
|After Acceptance into Program|
|Transcript Release Form||Emergency Contact Form|
|Proof of Health Insurance||Liability Waiver|
|Behavior Contract||Pre-Travel Health Survey|
|Copy of Passport (valid 6 months beyond date of return to US)|
|Copy of Visa (if applicable)||Copy of Flight Itinerary|
|Copy of Letter of Acceptance to Program (or other documentation verifying enrollment)|
|Optional Items/Not Required for All Students:|
|Financial Aid Budget Increase Form||OIP Study Abroad Scholarship Application|
*Please note that ALL study abroad students are charged a $200 study abroad service fee that is NOT included in the program fees. It is a separate charge and is in addition to the program fee. This fee is only assessed after course registration and before departure.
Transfer Credit Programs Affiliated with Sam Houston State University
SHSU's Department of Foreign Languages has partnered directly with the University of Leipzig in Germany to offer a language and cultural immersion program to SHSU students during the summer term. Students may study at the InterDAF institute for 4 or 8-weeks on this high-impact experience that will exponentially increase both your cultural competency and language abilities. Further information about the program is available HERE.
Affiliated Program Study Abroad Scholarships:
|AIFS||Automatic $400 grant (semester) or $200 (summer) for SHSU students who attend an AIFS study abroad program, since SHSU is affiliated with AIFS. Other study abroad scholarships & grants are available.|
|API||Students may apply for multiple API scholarships (though may only be awarded one) and are encouraged to refer to the list of additional scholarship and funding resources included on their website. Additionally, API gives SHSU a $1,000 award to one or more students participating in their programs as part of the affiliation agreement.|
|ISA||As affiliate partners, SHSU students will get an automatic $200 discount on all ISA programs and are eligible to apply for the Carlos Casteneda semester scholarship of $2,000, which is only available to students from affiliated universities. There are additional ISA scholarships.|
|KEI||SHSU students who attend a KEI-affiliated university or college may receive a $1,000 grant for a semester abroad. Affiliate grants may be combined with other grants, scholarships, promotions and payment plans offered by KEI. The KEI Scholarship Program also offers awards of $500-$1,000 if students have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 3.0.|
|SOL||SHSU students studying abroad with SOL Education Abroad receive an automatic $100 grant on all SOL programs. SOL offers at least 50+ additional annual scholarships of $100-$750.|
*SHSU will not approve any student travel to locations currently under US Dept. of State Advisory Level 3-4 or locations that come under Level 3-4 at any point in the study abroad process, including after the student has departed the US. Financial contingency plans should be made to compensate for any penalties incurred due to late program cancellation. Check the status of your proposed location here. No exceptions will be considered.
Connect with Us
- Instagram: @shsustudyabroad
- Study Abroad Blog: shsustudyabroad.wordpress.com
- Mailing list: To subscribe enter your email below
Study Abroad Coordinator
|email@example.com||936.294.3276||F116E||Make an appointment|
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340