WOLC Costa Rica Study Abroad
The purpose of the WOLC Costa Rica Study Abroad is to contribute to the education of truly global individuals by conducting a program in which SHSU students and faculty come together as a community of scholars to study the Spanish language and Costa Rican culture and to interact with the Costa Rican community on a formal as well as informal level. Students take Spanish courses that enhance their language skills, bringing them to a higher level of competency, but especially in their speaking skills. Besides classroom instruction, students are provided with opportunities for spontaneous conversations because they live with host families in the small community of Santa Ana. In addition, classes are held at the beautiful campus of CONVERSA, whose staff also constitutes a supportive community where students feel free to practice their Spanish in a non-threatening environment.
On-campus instruction: May 11-22 & June 27-July 10, 2020
Costa Rica: May 28 - June 25, 2020
- SPAN 2311: Intermediate Spanish I
- SPAN 2312: Intermediate Spanish II
- SPAN 2311 Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in SPAN 1412 or equivalent.
- SPAN 2312 Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in SPAN 2311 or equivalent. Students who do not obtain a grade of C will be given remedial assistance to enable them to move to 2312. If a student refuses remedial assistance, s/he will be refunded the remainder of their trip and sent home.
Follow all safety procedures and suggestions by the CONVERSA staff including area curfews and traveling regulations.
Students will be participating in a Homestay program where they will live with a family in Santa Ana. Transportation will be provided from the host families to the campus.
Students will be responsible for booking their own flights according to guidelines given by the Study Abroad Coordinator or Faculty Leader at a later date. DO NOT book your flights until receiving specific instruction to do so. Transportation will be provided from the airport to the host families.
$2,320 (including a $300 non-refundable deposit to secure a spot in the program)
- Includes: airport pickup and drop off; family stay in Santa Ana; all meals; shuttle service from Santa to classes and back; 3-day weekend trip to area near the Sarapiquí river, including fieldtrips to pineapple farm, chocolate tour, Rainforest Adventure tram and grounds of Selva Verde hotel; fieldtrips near Santa Ana (coffee farm; sugar cane mill; pottery factory); a day trip to history and art museums in San José; extra grammar lessons and activities; weekly yoga, Latin dance and cooking lessons; opportunities for community service; access to wireless internet on Conversa campus.
- Not Included: Regular SHSU Tuition & fees (summer semester)*, $200 study abroad service fee, airfare, travel insurance, spending money
*Note: Faculty-led, out-of-country courses do not charge 3 fees: Rec Center, Student Center and Health Center=$275, as opposed to on-campus courses.
PROGRAM PAYMENT DEADLINES
- $300 deposit due within 1 week of acceptance into program
- $500 payment due February 10th
- $500 payment due March 10th
- $1,020 Remaining Program Balance due May 10th
March 1, 2020
Find out more about our partner Conversa here.
FACULTY LEADERS CONTACT INFO
Dr. Maria Hasler Barker
Please submit completed application to Study Abroad Coordinator via email or in person.
After your Application has been approved and the $300 deposit paid, please submit the additional post-acceptance documents to the Study Abroad Coordinator that are listed on the Faculty-Led study abroad homepage.