Business and Economics in China
SHSU’s College of Business is pleased to offer a summer program in Beijing, China. We will be located at the heart of Beijing’s university district on the campus of the China University of Mining and Technology, Beijing (CUMTB). This will be a high-impact academic experience related to business in the world’s second largest economy. We will also take several cultural trips including The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, The Terracotta Warrior Museum, and the Shanghai Urban Planning Museum. We will take two three-day visits to the cities of Shanghai and Xi’an. Numerous business tours will also be conducted that will directly apply to the material taught in a way that could never be experienced in Texas.
Students from CUMTB will also participate in the SHSU courses and some of the field trips, giving our students the opportunity for daily intercultural exchange!
June 23 - July 13, 2019
- ECON 4360: International Field Studies in Economics
- ECON 4085: Readings in Economics: China
Min. GPA - 3.0. Participation in the program will require instructor approval, 50 completed hours, and completion of pre-requisite courses ECON 2300, ECON 2301 or ECON 2302.
Students will stay in shared rooms at the hotel campus at CUMTB. All rooms have air conditioning and internet.
Students will be responsible for booking their own flights according to guidelines given by the Study Abroad Coordinator or Faculty Leader at a later date. DO NOT book your flights until receiving specific instruction to do so.
$940 (including a $300 non-refundable deposit to secure a spot in the program)
- Includes: all hotels: Beijing, Shanghai and Xi’an. All field trips and meals during the field trips. Chinese visa fee. Transportation within China: bullet trains, subway card, buses to field trips. Taxi to and from Beijing Airport and hotel. Some meals (at least 8 meals will be covered but possibly more).
- Not Included: airfare, regular SHSU tuition & fees* (summer semester), $200 Study Abroad Service Fee, most meals, health insurance, books and supplies, spending money
*Note: Faculty-led, out-of-country courses do not charge 3 fees: Rec Center, Student Center and Health Center=$275, as opposed to on-campus courses.
PROGRAM PAYMENT DEADLINES
- $300 deposit due within 1 week of acceptance into program (assessed upon acceptance)
- $250 payment due March 10th (assessed Mar. 5th)
- $250 payment due April 10th (assessed Apr. 5th)
- $140 Remaining Program Balance due May 10th (assessed May 5th)
Today@SAM article about 2017's program.
FACULTY LEADER CONTACT INFO
Dr. Fidel Gonzalez
February 15, 2019
- NOTE: Program is restricted to 15 participants, so spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. $300 deposit will be placed on your account after turning in the application.
Please submit completed program applications to the Study Abroad Coordinator.
After your Application has been approved and the $300 deposit paid, please submit the additional post-acceptance documents to the Study Abroad Coordinator that are listed on the Faculty-Led study abroad homepage.