Applications for all of our programs can be found in our Bearkats Abroad Portal powered by Via TRM. Your study abroad coordinator will frequently refer to the profile you create in the Bearkats Abroad Portal. It is important that you monitor your Bearkats Abroad Portal profile closely throughout your study abroad experience, as we will communicate a majority of information through the portal and your SHSU email. The application process varies slightly from program to program. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We recommend using Chrome whenever working on your application or completing the program matching quiz. The portal does not operate fully in other browsers.
Applying to a Program
- Create an account using your SHSU credentials in the Bearkats Abroad Portal.
- You'll be asked a series of questions about your interest in studying abroad.
- After answering these questions, you can either choose to complete the program matching quiz or search and find your intended program by clicking on the 'Programs' tab on the top navigation bar.
- All exchange, faculty-led, and affiliated programs should appear in the search results. If you can't find your program or your program page isn't accepting applications for your intended term yet, you can contact us for more information.
- Be mindful of application deadlines and that programs will close once a program is full. We recommend applying early to secure your spot as most programs accept students on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once you have found the program you want to apply for it’s time to visit with the Student Money Management Center to create a budget for the program to make sure you understand the financial commitment of the program (this is mandatory).
- To apply go to the Bearkats Abroad Portal and select "Apply" to the right of the program name. Follow the instructions to apply to the program.
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for your study abroad coordinator and/or faculty-leader to review and make an admission decision on your application.
- I've been Accepted! - Congratulations! Once you are accepted, you will receive an email from your study abroad coordinator informing you of our admission decision. This email will also have information on the next steps. At this time, we will change your status in the Bearkats Abroad Portal to Accepted and you must click the Commit on the application. Once you have clicked commit, another set of forms titled "Enrollment Forms" will be added to your Traveler's Dashboard, make sure they are completed at your earliest convenience and by the given deadlines.
If you have any questions about how to start your application, please contact your Study Abroad Coordinator.
Connect with Us
Study Abroad Advisor
of Study Abroad