On-Campus Employment


All on-campus employment for students at SHSU is listed in Handshake. International students wanting to apply for an on-campus job should submit their application, resume, and other materials through Jobs4Kats. Need help preparing your resume? Meet with a career counselor from SHSU Career Services.

All international undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to work on campus during the academic year. During the fall/spring semesters, international students can work up to 20 hours per week. During the summer break, international students who are enrolled in at least 3 credit hours, or who had been enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in the spring, are eligible to work up to 28 hours per week.

Found a job through Jobs4Kats? Great! Now follow the steps below to apply for your social security number (SSN) and begin working:

Step 1: Request a letter from the employing department. The letter should include the title of the position you’ve been hired for, your start date, and the name of your supervisor.

Step 2: Request a letter from the Office of International Programs. The letter will include your start date and confirmation of your F1 student status, along with your SAM ID and SEVIS numbers.

Step 3: Take the following items to the Social Security Administration office in Conroe, TX (600 Sgt Ed Holcomb Blvd., Conroe, TX 77304, Hours: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.).

  • Social security card application (available at www.ssa.gov or in person at the Social Security Administration office)
  • Your employing department letter
  • Your Office of International Programs letter
  • Your I-20
  • Your passport with F1 visa
  • Your I-94 (get your most recent I-94 HERE)
  • Your birth certificate (if available)

Step 4: You can begin work as soon as you have a receipt from your SSN application. Once you receive your SSN card in the mail, don’t forget to submit a copy to SHSU Human Resources.

Friendly reminder: Work without authorization is a violation of your F1 student status and may lead to termination of your I-20. Please do not work without authorization.