Change of Status

 Check In Important DocumentsMedical Insurance | Dependent Information | Maintaining Status | Extension of Stay | Transfer Process | Changing Status | Traveling 12 and 24 Month Bar | Two-Year Home Residency Requirement J-1 Scholars Home

J-1 Exchange Visitors

Change of Status


Visiting J scholars who are not subject to the 2-year home residency physical presence requirement (see “2-year requirement”) are eligible to apply for change of status to any other visa type for which they qualify.

Exchange visitors who are subject to the 2-year home country physical presence requirement are not eligible to change from within the U.S. to any other status in the U.S. except A (diplomatic or government official) or G (international organization), unless they receive a waiver of the 2-year requirement from the Department of State and US Citizenship & Immigration Services.


In order to be granted a change of status within the U.S., the applicant generally must (at the time the application is filed):

 Have been lawfully admitted to the U.S.

 Not have been unlawfully present in the U.S.

 Hold a status that allows such a change,

 Be maintaining valid status,

 File the change of status application in a timely fashion (before the current status expires), and

 Be eligible for the new status requested