J-1 Exchange Visitors

Students Walking on Campus

Welcome Future Bearkats!

People With Arms Around Each Other

Welcome Future Bearkats!

More People With Arms Around Each Other

Welcome Future Bearkats!

 Check In Important DocumentsMedical Insurance | Dependent Information | Maintaining Status | Extension of Stay | Transfer Process | Changing Status | Traveling 12 and 24 Month Bar | Two-Year Home Residency Requirement J-1 Scholars Home

Exchange Visitor Information

The Exchange Visitor (J-1) is for international scholars that would like to participate in SHSU work-and study-based exchange programs.

Exchange Visitor Categories at SHSU

There are three principle categories within the Exchange Visitor Program in which SHSU sponsors international faculty.

A professor may primarily conduct teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at post-secondary accredited educational institutions; they may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor. J-1 professors are not allowed to occupy tenure track positions based on the J-1 regulations.

Research Scholars
A research scholar may primarily conduct research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at post-secondary accredited educational institutions; or teach unless not approved by the sponsoring agency.

Short Term Scholars
A short term scholar is a professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at post-secondary accredited educational institutions from one day to a maximum of six months.

Note: No extensions beyond the six months are permitted for Short Term Scholars.

Departments that would like to host a J-1 Exchange Visitor must complete a J-1 Exchange Vistor Information Sheet and submit it to the Office of International Programs in Farrington 116, Box 2150. Questions can be directed to the J-1 Scholar Advisor or phone 936-294-4607.

Useful Documents:

Template memo to President for invitation of J-1 Exchange Visitor

J-1 Exchange Visitor Checklist 

The Office of International Programs (OIP) is responsible for all international students and scholars once they arrive at Sam Houston State University. We are glad to assist each department here at SHSU in bringing international students, visiting scholars/researchers and international faculty members to our campus.    

International students and scholars that have questions regarding their time here at SHSU can always visit us in OIP. We are located in the Farrington Building, room 116.  You can send us an email at oip@shsu.edu or call us at (936) 294-4737.   

OIP provides information on most immigration issues and concerns for all international students and scholars here at SHSU.  We are glad to help with other issues such as cultural adjustment, language barrier, financial problems, and health related matters during your time at SHSU.  OIP offer several events during the year for all international students and scholars at SHSU. 


Facebook Logo  


Contact Information
Justin Ball Justin Ball
Director of International Programs
jball@shsu.edu 936.294.4607 F116 D
dana Dana Van De Walker
Recruiter and Special Programs Coordinator
d.vandewalker@shsu.edu 936.294.2746 F116 A
Ricardo Professional Picture Ricardo Williams
International Student Advisor
rlw062@shsu.edu 936.294.3892 F116 F

Office of International Programs

Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340

Phone: 936-294-4737