Frequently Asked Questions


Have I been admitted?

What is the tuition fee?

I paid the SEVIS fee and went to the embassy; however, they did not have a record of my payment. Why did this happen? 

  • We recommend that once you pay the fee, print your receipt immediately and take it with you to your appointment. You may want to wait at least 3 to 5 days after paying the fee for the data to reach the system at the Department of Homeland Security.

Do you offer scholarships for international student?

  • You are eligible for scholarships and assistantships (for graduate students) depending on the availability.  These of course are competitive in nature, and awarded by the department. Please check with your college/department to check on the availability of each.  Please visit https://shsu.academicworks.com/ for more information on scholarships.

Will I be required to have Insurance?

  • Yes, Insurance enrollment process for all F1 students upon check-in. Insurance waivers can be approved for student who has purchases insurance form a company within the United States.


Can I travel while studying at SHSU?

  • Yes, F1 students can travel outside of the country “after obtaining a travel endorsement from the Designated School Official (DSO).” F1 student are free to traveling within the USA using their I-20 and passport.

I forgot to get a travel endorsement before traveling outside of the country. How can I receive an I-20 with a travel endorsement?

  • Please go to EshipGlobal at: https://study.eshipglobal.com/home/?q=s and create a student shipping account so upon payment, the waybill will be electronically sent to me so I will be able to ship your original documents to you.

Can I return to complete my degree after my I-20 has expired after I traveled abroad?

  • First, you must repay the SEVIS fee. Once you receive a physical copy of your new I-20, you will re-enter the U.S. with that active I-20.


Can I work while studying at SHSU?

  • International students in F-1 status who are maintaining legal student status and are enrolled for a full course of study at the University may work on-campus for no more than 28 hours per week while school is in session. During holidays and vacation periods, you may work full time.

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

  • CPT is an integral part of an F-1 student’s established curriculum (before graduating), which allows them to engage in experiential training in any type of required or optional internship or practicum experience. F1 students with CPT approval can practice for up to 12 months of practice.

What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

  • OPT allows F-1 students to gain practical work experience (on- or off-campus) by applying their academic knowledge to a position directly related to their area of study (after graduation). F1 students with CPT approval can practice for up to 12 months of practice.


My spouse will come to the United States as my dependent – will my spouse be able to attend school?

  • Your spouse will have F-2 status and will be able to attend school but on a part-time basis. If your spouse wants to attend school as a full-time student, your spouse will need to apply for a change of status to F-1.

Will my spouse on F-2 status be able to work in the United States?

  • Your spouse on F-2 status will not be able to work in the United States and your spouse will not be eligible for a social security number.