Sam Houston State University
Human Resources Department
Goals and objectives for communication
The Human Resources Department (HR) strives to communicate in an effective and timely manner to Sam Houston State University (SHSU) administrators, employees, and other customers regarding applicable human resources related policy changes, benefit updates, new procedures, and other information affecting employment.
Methods and medium of communication
HR utilizes the following methods to communicate with administrators, employees, retirees, applicants and other customers:
- Website and online resources
- HR website dedicated to HR services and resources.
- SHSU employment portal at shsu.peopleadmin.com includes current faculty and staff postings.
- HR forms available on the university forms webpage.
- Human Resources channel on MySam provides employees online access to the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking and position management system, the Talent Management system, Annual Performance Appraisals, and other resources.
- New Employee Resource Directory .
- Employee Assistance Program WorkLife and Wellness Newsletters.
- Employees Retirement System of Texas News About Your Benefits . Employees can subscribe to the “News About Your Benefits” newsletter.
- Staff Handbook on HR website.
- Emails are sent to inform employees regarding annual (Summer) insurance enrollment, professional development opportunities, required notices, and other updates.
- Direct mail to home and campus mail when applicable.
Issue resolution strategies
HR utilizes the following resolution strategies:
- Customer Service Satisfaction Survey
- Benefits Comment Card
- HR management staff are available to assist with issues needing further resolution. The HR website includes the directory of HR team members and contact information.
- HR has a representative on the Financial Advisory Collaborative Team (FACT). This team includes representation from across campus, with the purpose of working together to improve business processes, increase communication, seek input/feedback, and increase knowledge. The HR representative on this team will gather feedback to resolve HR related issues experienced by customers.
Methods for evaluation of success
HR reviews the information collected from the Customer Service Satisfaction Survey and Benefits Comment Cards to evaluate success of communication efforts and HR services. HR will also utilize the feedback received from the Financial Advisory Collaborative Team (FACT) to evaluate success.
General Information on the role and services provided by HR
HR core services include the functional areas of Benefits, Employee Relations, Employee Professional Development, Employee Leaves, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan, Staffing, Staff Wage and Salary Administration, and Records. HR staff are committed to delivering high quality, professional service in an enthusiastic manner to all prospective, current, and past employees.
- Compensation Plan Document
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Employee Assistance Program
- Hiring Resources, Hiring Manager’s Guide, and Applicant Tracking System
- Insurance, Summary of Benefits and Summer Enrollment
- Leave of Absence
- New Employee Orientation Information
- Professional Development and Training
- Retirement Program Information and Retirement Program Resources
- Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Staff Performance Appraisals
Dates and timing of various processes and actions
- Beginning February 1, 2019, HR will include the date of policy revisions with a summary of the revisions at the end of each HR policy.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) with answers
- Applicant FAQs and Application Instructions
- Employee Assistance Program FAQs
- Insurance, TexFlex, and ERS Online FAQs and Additional Resources
- Training FAQs
For additional information, please contact the Human Resources Department at (936) 294-1070.