The SHSU Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) is pleased to host the Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP). The WRP is co-sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) and the U.S. Department of Defense’s Office of Diversity Management & Equal Opportunity (ODMEO), with support from other federal agencies.
The Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) for College Students with Disabilities is a recruitment and referral program that connects public and private sector employers nationwide with college students and recent graduates with disabilities eager to prove their abilities through summer internships or permanent jobs.
The WRP seeks to function as a primary pipeline for bringing new talent into the federal government to fill mission critical jobs. WRP helps participating college Career Centers and Disability Services Offices tackle the unique issues involved in assisting candidates with disabilities with finding employment, such as accommodations and the use of the Schedule A Hiring Authority.
To be eligible for the WRP at SHSU, you must:
• Be a United States citizen
• Be a current, full-time, degree-seeking, junior, senior, or graduate student at SHSU, unless taking a reduced course load due to a disability or in final semester, OR be a graduate of SHSU within the past academic year
• Be registered or register with the SHSU Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD—see Procedures to Request Services )
To participate in the WRP at SHSU, you must:
• Schedule and complete an appointment with the WRP Campus Coordinator at the SSD Office (telephone 936-294-3512, TDD 936-294-3786)
• Schedule and complete an appointment with the SHSU Career Services Office for a resume critique and mock interview session and provide documentation to the WRP Campus Coordinator to verify completion of these requirements.
• Register and complete an online application, upload a resume, transcript, Schedule A Letter, and letters of recommendation (latter optional) on the WRP database
• Participate in a telephone interview with a WRP recruiter (to be scheduled by the WRP Campus Coordinator)
Student registration opens in late August.
Participating employers will have access to a student’s WRP application for a period of one year. Students wishing to extend their participation in the WRP must re-apply each year per the procedure noted above, with the exception that an additional resume critique and mock interview session with the SHSU Career Services Office will not be required of re-applicants.
For additional information on the WRP at SHSU, please contact the WRP Campus Coordinator at the SSD Office (telephone 936-294-3512, TDD 936-294-3786, and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org).