The Board of Regents and the administration of SHSU support the national policy of the United States of America to stop the illicit use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol in our society. In keeping with The Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, SHSU has adopted a Drug-Free Workplace Policy and implemented a Drug Awareness Program to prevent the illicit use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol by students and employees.
The SHSU Drug-Free Workplace Policy prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance by employees on university property or as any part of a university activity.
The SHSU Drug Awareness program is to inform employees about:
- The dangers of drug abuse in the workplace;
- SHSU’s policy of maintaining a drug free workplace;
- any available drug counseling, rehabilitation, and employee assistance programs;
- the penalties that may be imposed upon employees for drug abuse violations; and
- that the Human Resources Department provides Drug Free Awareness information to all new employees at the time of employment and current employees annually.
SHSU is obligated to uphold laws which prohibit the possession, use, or distribution of controlled substances. As a condition of employment, all employees are required to notify Human Resources of any criminal drug conviction. Any employee with such a conviction will be disciplined up to and including termination. Please contact the Human Resources Department, located in the Thomason Building, Suite 220, phone number (936) 294-1070 if you need additional information about this program.