Article I: Prohibitions
Section 1. Bicycles: Bicycles shall not be ridden or operated on properties owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by Sam Houston State University, except on streets, parking lots or bike lanes where provided. Bicycles are not to be taken inside campus buildings without specific permission from building manager, supervisor or director. Bicycles are not to be ridden inside campus buildings or on any common pedestrian walking areas on campus. (e.g., mall areas, sidewalks, pathways, planted areas, or handicap ramps, etc. However, bicycles may be walked through these areas.) Bicycles are not to be secured to handrails, light poles, trees or any other campus fixture not provided for that purpose. Bicycles should be parked in designated parking areas and/or secured in bicycle racks.
Section 2. Roller-skates/In-line Skates: Roller-skates and/or in-line skates shall not be used on properties owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by Sam Houston State University, except in areas where bicycles may be ridden. Members of an authorized university skating club may use roller-skates or in-line skates under conditions approved in advance, in writing, in accordance with published university policy (Co-Curricular Use of University Facilities).
Section 3. Skateboards: Skateboards shall not be ridden or operated on properties owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by Sam Houston State University, including but not limited to buildings, mall areas, sidewalks, streets, alleys, and parking facilities.
Article II: Safety
Section 1. Required Conduct: All bicycling, roller-skating/in-line skating shall be done in a reasonable, prudent and careful manner with due regard for the safety of the user/operator and all other persons.
Article III: Violations
Section 1. Penalty: Any person who operates or uses a bicycle, roller-skates/in-line skates, or skateboard in violation of this policy is subject to all appropriate university penalties and actions pursuant to V.T.C.A. Education Code.
Section 2. Citation/Impoundment: Any Texas Peace Officer who is a member of or represents the University Police Department, who observes a person violating this policy, is authorized to issue a citation. Fees are determined by the number of citations incurred each semester.
- 1st Citation: $5:00
- 2nd Citation: $15:00
- 3rd Citation: $25:00
Section 3. Violators’ Obligation and Appeal Procedure:
- Citations for violations may be paid at the Cashier’s Office or the University Police Office or by mail to the University Police Office.
- Citations are subject to appeal and appeals must be filed within three (3) class days after the issuance of the citation. All appeals must be on the official appeal form secured from the University Police Office. The Dean of Students’ Office will set the date, time, and place for appeals.
- All citations appealed shall be adjudicated through the university’s Parking Appeals Committee. The Parking Appeals Committee shall be comprised of a pool of students, faculty and administrative staff appointed by the president. Any two or three members of the pool will constitute an appropriate hearing committee. The Parking Appeals Committee shall hear all appeals filed by faculty, staff, and students.
- Students who fail to resolve citations are subject to disciplinary action.
- Any person receiving three or more unresolved citations shall be considered to be in flagrant violation of this policy and their bicycle, roller-skates/in-line skates, or skateboard may be impounded and held at the University Police Department pending final action by the Dean of Students.