Welcome to the Sam Houston State University chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council!
On a National level NPHC is composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. However; Sam Houston State University is the home to four of the traditional divine nine.
The vision and goal of the SHSU chapter of National Pan-Hellenic Council is to promote and maintain solidarity. We, the members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council of Sam Houston State University, do hereby pledge to strive for unity among ourselves and to promote the image of the council in a positive manner. In order to promote and perpetuate the best interest of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated and Sam Houston State University, the members of both pledge our loyalty and support to the high purpose of promoting the best interest of our cause(s), our university and humanity, and do hereby ordain and establish this constitution, the active members of National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated at Sam Houston State University maintain all rights and privileges of fraternity and sorority life.
The purposes of our organization are as follows:
- To promote unity and togetherness among the members of black Greek organizations, and all African American students at Sam Houston State University.
- To mediate grievances between black Greek organizations and issue appropriate sanctions.
- To create and maintain high standards on the life of fraternities and sororities by addressing, coordinating, and developing strategic actions on matters of mutual concern.
- To promote student leadership.
- To promote a greater degree of culture, closer social fellowship, and a stronger fraternity/sorority spirit among members.
- To encourage black Greek organizations to concern themselves with programs designed to meet the needs of the community.
Attending the individual chapter’s functions is a great way to meet and get to know members of the organizations as well as our “Greek Assembly” program which all interested students are required to attend the actual semester the organization is having intake to be eligible to join a NPHC organization. If a student can not attend "Greek Assembly" they must inform the SHSU Greek staff prior to the event with proof of the schedule conflict or at least within 3 business days after the event if it deals with an emergency. No exceptions!
For more information, contact NPHC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936.294.2268.